Simple 460 Build?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scribble

Reaction score
I am looking for a simple way to control my RIMS temperature and maybe have some expandability later. I was about to drop $575 on the Blichmann Tower of Power controller that really has no expandability and I thought if I could install a BCS 460 to do the same thing for less, why not?

I have a three kettle RIMS system with three Blichmann burners running off propane and two march pumps.

All I really want to do for now is control the burner on my mash tun and monitor temperatures from a sensor mounted into a "T" after my pump. It would be nice to be able to plug in a control panel then plug my pumps into the control panel and have manual switches for the pumps. I doubt I even need the BCS 460 to control the pumps for now, but who knows in the future. I would also like to make it wireless so that I do not have to plug in a laptop or run a cable across my house every time I brew.

I have some electrical experience and I can build a computer, but I have zero knowledge in automation.

I guess my first question is can I do this for less than $575? If so any guidance with what I need to make this work would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Andy

So, I've been reading and things are starting to make more sense. I am working on a parts list so that I can see how much this will cost.

I want to automate one burner with a temperature sensor. My burner is a high pressure Blichmann floor burner on the extension legs. I have all my burners set up on independant tanks. I want to convert the burner to low pressure so that it can handle the cheaper honeywell valves.

So far I know that I need.

1 BCS 460 $179.95
1 Enclosure 12 x 12 x 8? Nema 4? $100?
1 Honeywell VR8300A3500 $72.95
1 Honeywell Q314A4586 Pilot Burner $17.95
1 36" Thermocouple $4.04
1 25A SSR $8
1 24V transformer $26.5
1 Temperature Sensor $21
I would like to get some HOA switches to switch the pumps but not hook them up to the BCS 460 yet.

I also need to change my burner to low pressure
1 Low Pressure orifice $7
1 Low Pressure regulator $28.95

Am I on the right track? So far that's $466 without getting any plugs, wireless, switches etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
For that cost, you may want to consider electric. I like the tower of power, but I wanted more automation.

FYI, I was helped over at Embedded Control Concepts board.

I ended up ordering the BCS 460, and a Honeywell Smartvalve.

I may go to electric one day, but I have nice burners and I would have to get 220 run from my basement out to my back deck. Maybe if/when we do our big remodel I will either get Natural Gas installed or a big plug? I do agree though, if I didn't have my burners already I would seriously consider electric.

Here is the link I will be updating with what I actually purchased.

Thanks,
Andy

Back