Simcoe + MO smash - mash temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevedasleeve

Reaction score
If you (like I will tomorrow,) were to brew a SMASH using Simcoe & Maris Otter, 1.062, 62 IBUs what temperature would you mash it?

Sounds pretty good though I've never had a beer brewed only with simcoe. Should be pretty piney, no?

Anyways, I'd mash right around 154F so long as you have a decently attenuating yeast, like US-05. And if not, I'd still mash at 154F.

154 was what I was thinking but since there are no specialty malts I am wondering if I should mash higher, 156 perhaps. Don't know but I will have to decide soon! Piney... I am doing this to find out. Usually I mix Simcoe with other quite up front hops, Amarillo, Columbus, Chinook etc. I am wondering what the base taste is for Simcoe, hence a SMaSH!

I'm new to all grain but here is what I have done with Marris Otter.
I did two SMaSH MO/East Kent Goldings.

Both with 10 lbs MO and 4 oz EKG.

First batch was a LIBA, og 1.054, fg 1.010, SO4 @ 68f. 4.5 gal.
Second was a false bottom lauter, og 1.056, fg 1.012, SO4 @ 68f. 5.5 gal.

Both were direct heat in the Mash/Boil Kettle, with this mash schedule, FWIW:
95f add grain,
104f 20 min,
153-5f 75 min,
170f 10 min,
Sparge 170f 45min.

I'd mash between 148 and 150.
I agree with this, but I like my IPA's on the dry side. I'd shoot for 150 and stretch the mash out beyond 60 minutes to be sure you get full conversion.

Had a Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA with dinner last night.
Delicious!
:tank:

What yeast are you planning on using?

I tasted an all Simco brew at a beer fest last year and it tasted pretty good... least ways I thought so.. now simco is on my favorite hop list

I did a IPA a few batches ago with all simco's and a hefty amount as well. It turned out great, a bit on the piney side but great non the less.

Well I did 154 and ended up with 1.065 and 65 IBUs. I think this will be plenty dry actually since I used Nottingham and at this mash temp it attenuates quite a ways - I'm expecting 83% (1.011.) I'm fermenting lowish to keep it all neutral so I can really taste the malt & hops. I'm dry hopping with 2 oz for 2 weeks before kegging. Should be damn tasty IMHO!

I'm looking to do some SMaSH brewing myself, was wondering what your recipe was and how many gallons you ended up with. I was trying to find 5 gallon or larger recipe.

This was a very long ago post! As I recall it was 4 oz mostly late additions, IPA bitterness (60 IBUs?) and was fantastic. I think Simcoe is one of those few hops that are complex enough to stand alone - my desert island hop for sure.

My newish favorite malt though now is Golden promise...

Cheers!
Steve da sleeve

Back