Silicone tubing supply?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI: there is another live thread on this ebay seller going on right now, too.

Here is that thread

and here is the most recent post in it, which is some good info:

Just picked up 50' from the seller (local pickup = no shipping = $.20/ft!!!!!) Now what to do with the $$ I saved?! :)

The seller, Nick, is a nice guy who is trying to figure out why his sales have exploded on this stuff. He said that he was shipping at most 5 packages a day and is now shipping anywhere from 50 to 70 packages a day! He mentioned the sales to New Zealand as well.

He is listing only the tubing he has on hand. (about 75 packages in the back of his car currently.) he won't list more than his current supply, even though he can get more from his supplier. So don't be discouraged if he shows as being sold out. He can get more.

Cheers!

He is down to 4 left as of a couple of minutes ago.

I don't know why there is a 5 year shelf life either, but the sticker he shows in the auction shows "Shelf Life: 5 years from date of mfg". That same sticker also shows the mfg date as 1-19-09, so it is already 2 years into the 5 year shelf life.

But for that price....:ban:

Until these deals appeared I don't think anyone questioned silicone's shelf life.
I doubt anyone has considered the mfg date of all the tubing that was put into use over the past years? I don't think anybody asks online suppliers about the date before they order.

I think we are looking for a reason the think this deal is too good to be true.

So I did a little research today and it appears that almost all silicone tubing has a shelf life of about 5 years. The version I got today was from Cole Parmer - a quick call to their support line and they said that while there's technically a shelf life of 5 years, with "normal storage" the tubing will last much much longer. I think it's pretty much exactly what Ohio-Ed said....it's always been there, but no one really cared!

It hasn't stopped my 3 roll purchase! :)

Ryan

What do people think about the reinforced silicone tubing that Midwest and some others sell? It looks cool and indestructible, but at almost $8/ft vs $2/ft for regular silicone, it's pricey. Is it worth it?

I think that's a lot of money for some tubing, you might as well plumb in some SS hard lines for that price! It's supposed to prevent bursting in high pressure applications, if you design your system properly you won't burst the standard silicone tubing.

I did talk to Nick yesterday (sadly he oversold the hose and some of my order was cut). He is going to put up some new hosing soon (http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=9640087&pfx=EW). It is 1/2 ID 1 OD.

So this is thicker stuff, pretty sure the burst pressure is 20psi vs 7 for the 3/4 inch silicon.

The rolls are 10 feet long. I think he said 14.99 for the roll, but dont quote me on that. The hose retails at $25/foot.

Not quite as good a deal but still less than homebrew shops.

shipping completely ruins that deal.

Anyone have a chunk from their 50' that they can part with? I need a couple of 4' lengths, if anyone has some to spare.

Back