Sight glass trimming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glass or polycarbonate?

Polycarbonate cuts easily with just about any saw. Power chop or miter saw is nice and clean but support it from underneath and behind with scrap wood. Wear eye protection. You can also use a hacksaw. Clean it up with sandpaper.

Polycarbonate ones from Bargain Fittings.

Thanks I have some real fine tooth saws that will work great. that is what I was thinking but wanted some experienced info first.

Just in case anyone with glass/borosilicate sight tubes reads this, a tile saw will cut them but you should really have some kind of diamond abrasive tool to clean up the edges.

Acrylic would be a touch more brittle than polycarbonate so finer tooth the better. I can cut poly with a crappy old combo blade that came on my Ryobi miter saw and it barely requires any cleanup. Don't go super slow or you'll melt.

Copper tubing cutter is another good idea.

I've cut the glass ones by scoring the circumfrence with a Dremel grinding wheel, wrapping it in a towel and then just snapping it. It's worked great serveral times for me. Then I just use a fine stone in the Dremel to buff the edges.

Back