Sierra Nevada's Press Release: Chico Estate Harvest Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, just went to the pub and grabbed a pint on tap...amazing! Very bright, citrusy and pleasantly hoppy! Almost exactly like their normal Harvest, but I'd have to say I noticed the aroma and flavor of the Cascades even more than usual. That may be a good or bad thing depending on how you feel about those hops.

Just FYI, these 24oz bombers run $6.99 per bottle! I was shocked as normally the harvest is just $5 and sometimes you can find it for under $4 around here. So, fellow homebrewers...I'm happy to send some bottles your way, but I hope that you send something equivalent. I know you will!

For those of you who want me to send some, please PM me. It will be a lot easier to handle via PM than in thread. Thanks!

Just FYI, these 24oz bombers run $6.99 per bottle! I was shocked as normally the harvest is just $5 and sometimes you can find it for under $4 around here. So, fellow homebrewers...I'm happy to send some bottles your way, but I hope that you send something equivalent. I know you will!

I just got some of the Southern Hemisphere 2009 batch for $3.99 at Total Wine in Roseville.

Yeah. I've been waiting. I have 4 potential selections that would be easier to post here than to PM due to links. The 3 I currently have are all bombers. You can choose as many as you find interesting, all, or none.

Snoqualmie Wildcat IPA
A new look for Snoqualmie Falls Brewing labels | Beernews.org
This is a really nice IPA. It is very hop heavy yet achieves balance with the malt.

Elysian Dragontooth stout Dragonstooth Stout
This is probably my favorite local stout that I have tried, from my favorite brew pub in Seattle, The Elysian. It has a dark chocolatey, complex flavor, and enough alcohol to let you know you've just finished a bomber. Like a cabonated mocha expresso.

Issaquah White Frog Ale http://www.rogue.com/news/03-09-09_White-Frog-Ale.pdf
Issaquah Ale house is a local brew pub that was gobbled up by Rogue several years ago. They were allowed to maintain a couple of their signature beers. White frog is a Belgian stlye. The typical Belgian sweet funkiness is in there, but it is a bit subdued by a hefty mix of spices used by the brewer. Spicy, and refreshing.

Lastly you mentioned Naked City which is Brewtopias place. I spoke to Brewtopia several weeks ago and he said he'd be happy to bottle up his Naked City Dubbel (which is the only in house brew he currently taps)
Naked City Brewing
It is a deceptively smooth and tasty Belgian style Dubbel, and you never feel the 8% alcohol until you get up from your stool. I've missed DOn the last couple times I stopped in for a couple pints, but I should be able to e-mail him and set up a date to get some tapped off to send you if you like.

I don't remember what I paid for these as I picked them up like 3 weeks ago, but I think they mostly fell somewhere in the $5-8 range. Because the Harvest is pretty special I might consider 3 harvests for all 4 of the ones I have.

I'd love some Naked City Dubbel, and really whatever else you think is good. I'm just stoked to get some beers from out of the area. Cheers!

I am down to trade for 3 or 4 (whatever you can do) for 3 or 4 bombers from here in PA.

I'm up for another swap just so long as I can still find it in the stores. Shouldn't be a problem this week, but I think this stuff is going fast.

Thanks frolickingmonkey and Zen_Brew...your beer is on the way! Along with something special from around here (besides the Chico Harvest Ale).

SN Harvest Ale is really good. :)
Up to now its only been available in 24 oz bottles where I live and only a certain time of the year....:(
Im looking forward to trying the Estate Ale....
Hopefully it'll come in 12 oz. bottles...?
Just to note...there is a clone recipe for the SN Torpedo now which is also good..

I finally got to enjoy one of the Harvest Ales that TwoHeads sent up last week. Ummm ummmm good! In a way it is very similiar to the Southern Hemisphere Ale I picked up locally a few weeks ago in that they achieved a wonderful balance with the malt. The hops are there, and they are a plenty, but even in the nose you pick up the balance of hops and malt. It is another testament to the wonder that is Sierra Nevada.

Big Thanx to TwoHeadsBrewing :mug:

And a big thank you to Zen_Brew and FrolickingMonkey! I've really enjoyed the beers you've both sent, it's always great to try beers from other parts of the country. I got to try several of Boundary Bay Brewing's offerrings, which were very good especially the IPA. And Zen_Brew sent some Elysian Dragonstooth Stout which was soooooooo tasty! At 7.5%, it was silky smooth, roasty, and quite a delicious adult beverage. Thanks all, great beer swap! I hope you all enjoy the Chico Harvest Ale and the others I sent.

Cheers!

Oh, enjoy I did! The Chico Harvest did not disappoint! I still have one more bottle in the fridge, and I'm saving the vintage Old Stock until the weather gets a little colder and darker. Cheers, Ben, great swap! Glad you enjoyed my local offerings... BTW, my other local brewery just won Small Brewpub & Small Brewpub Brewmaster of the Year at the GABF and became the first brewery to do so with only lagers! Check it out: Chuckanut Brewery. Too bad they don't bottle their stuff... :(

Great job TwoHeads for getting some of this spread throughout the country. I found a bottle myself yesterday and $11 later :confused:, I have one in the fridge.

The "Wet Hop" is by far the best of their harvest ales. The Estate one to me just tastes like a double ipa version of the classic sierra nevada pale ale. The southern one is OK, but NZ hops are just too weak.

The Wet Hop one gives a very nice "fresh" mouthfeel and aroma. It's even nicer than the Chatoe Rogue Wet Hop Ale.

But nothing, and I mean nothing, beats fresh hop beers made with unkilned hops picked from your backyard just minutes before going into the wort!

Great job TwoHeads for getting some of this spread throughout the country. I found a bottle myself yesterday and $11 later :confused:, I have one in the fridge.

Damn! I mean, it's a great harvest ale and definitely one of the first to use company-grown hops AND grain...but 11 bucks is steep!

Hey, does anyone know what kind of distribution "Life and Limb" is going to get? If it's going to be limited, I think it might be cause for another beer swap with TwoHeadsBrewing... :D

Hey, does anyone know what kind of distribution "Life and Limb" is going to get? If it's going to be limited, I think it might be cause for another beer swap with TwoHeadsBrewing... :D

:D, I'm down! From what I hear it's going to be limited release only, which means Chico and a few select brew pubs around the nation. On another SN note, has anyone had this year's Celebration Ale yet? Sooooo good...I miss this beer when it goes away, but absence does make the heart (and the palate) fonder!

Damn! I mean, it's a great harvest ale and definitely one of the first to use company-grown hops AND grain...but 11 bucks is steep!

yep, that's what you get when you go to Bevmo though :(

As a sidenote, I saw that they had the Red Chair IPA from Deschutes there which is a early summer special release. I grabbed one because I have never had it either as I was asking an employee when they will be getting Abyss and if they had any Black Butte XXI left. Of course they didn't. Anyways, I looked at the red chair IPA bottle and it says, best before 8/9/09 and I was like what is going on with this. He brings them down and his manager comes by and is like what you are doing? He shows him the date and they kind of shrug it off and you could tell as soon as I left the store, they were going to put them back on the shelf.

Im drinking a "Harvest Wet Hop" right now.....its absolutely incredible. The hop smoothness is like nothing I've ever drank. Picked it up from the local wine seller for $3.50 for a 24 oz bottle....worth every penny.

Back