Sierra Nevada Summerfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HangLoose

Reaction score
Sierra Nevada Summerfest copy. I'll call it a copy because I'm not so sure its close enough to be a clone. Anyone care to comment about how to make it more like Sierra Nevada Summerfest? I see from there site that its made from two row and Munich bittered with Saaz and Perle, aroma is Saaz 28 IBU and 5%abv. This is my plan:

Mash at 152* (I may mash higher for more sweetness - like 154*)
SRM: 4.6 SRM
IBU: 28.3 IBUs
OG: 1.052 SG
FG: 1.013 SG
Est ABV: 5.2 %
EE%: 72.00 % Batch: 11.00 gal Boil: 60 Mins

Amt Name
20 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 90.9 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) 4.5 %
1 lbs Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) 4.5 %

Amt Name Type
1.25 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min 8.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Perle [10.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min 15.7 IBUs
1.25 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min 4.2 IBUs

Amt Name Type
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Aroma Steep 10.0 min 0.0 IBUs

ferment 34/70 @50* for 3 weeks or so then Lager @ 32* till I can't stand it anymore. Then drink it before its really done... too bad

How does it look?

Your lagering procedure is a little off. Here's the typical lagering schedule:

1) Ferment @ 50 until you reach 75% of expected FG (About 1.029 for your numbers above). This is going to take more like 3-5 days, not 3 weeks.

2) 48 hour diacytl rest @ room temp (70ish)

3) Transfer to secondary, lager at about 36F (your proposed 32F will freeze the beer!!) for about 8 weeks (or until you can't stand it anymore!!).

Hope that helps!

10 Gallon Size Batch
18 lbs 2-Row
1.0 lbs Munich
1.0 lbs Cara-Pils
1.0 oz Pearl at 60 min.
2.0 oz Saaz at 60 min.
2.0 oz Saaz at 5 min

I brewed an ale version of this recipe, 152 60 min. Fermented at 64-66 14 days. I am transferring tomorrow and will report back.

1) Ferment @ 50 until you reach 75% of expected FG (About 1.029 for your numbers above). This is going to take more like 3-5 days, not 3 weeks.

3) Transfer to secondary, lager at about 36F (your proposed 32F will freeze the beer!!) for about 8 weeks (or until you can't stand it anymore!!).

Hope that helps!

I have had good luck omitting the diacytl rest with 34/70. I like to leave it on the yeast and at a warmer temp longer then 3-5 days. Maybe I under pitch or maybe that yeast is slow but primary seems to take twice that long in my fridge. But like I kind of said I let it go till the end -diacytl rest. I normally lager in the 33-35 range but I do sometimes turn it down to 32 and it has never frozen. Its not water after all. 8 weeks is surely the ticket but it will probably be gone in 6.

I do appreciate you help though honestly. These are good practices. good advice.

10 Gallon Size Batch
18 lbs 2-Row
1.0 lbs Munich
1.0 lbs Cara-Pils
1.0 oz Pearl at 60 min.
2.0 oz Saaz at 60 min.
2.0 oz Saaz at 5 min

I brewed an ale version of this recipe, 152 60 min. Fermented at 64-66 14 days. I am transferring tomorrow and will report back.

Oh wow they are practically identical! What yeast are you using? I find that this w-34/70 leave a very subtle but noticeable improvement. In the end though I have had great results with a clean ale yeast in similar beers.

Anyway I am really interested in what you like/what you would do differently.
Thanks

BTW I didn't say this in the first post but I'm not too knowledgeable about the effects of different strains of lager yeast. w-34/70 (which I love) and S-23 (which I loath) are all I really have experience with. Any recommendations on the yeast?

I used WLP 1056. I transfered today. It finnished up at 1.012. Worm flat hydromitor sample was great. The 5 min adition of saaz adds a nice brite flavor to the beer. I will crash it today and keg thursday.

Oh yeah I love 1056, I usually use us-05 cause dry yeast is so easy.

HangLoose said:
BTW I didn't say this in the first post but I'm not too knowledgeable about the effects of different strains of lager yeast. w-34/70 (which I love) and S-23 (which I loath) are all I really have experience with. Any recommendations on the yeast?

The 34/70 will make a great beer. S-189 is great too, but it's getting too damn hard to find anymore.

I have been wanting to try S-189 for a while. I hear good things about it.

I know it's still being produced, but it's more for commercial breweries. It's around if you want 500 grams of it.

Its been keged. Now for about 5 hours and i can drink this all night.

ForumRunner_20120503_165138.jpg

Hope that helps!

32F won't freeze beer the alcohol lowers the freezing temp. In theory the freezing point of a 4% ABV beer is 27 or 28F.

That looks great! How did you carb it so fast? (your glass looks laced)

The beer at this point is 35 degrees. I set the c02 to 20psi and shake it on its side up and down vigorously for about 2 min. Then set the regulator to 8 psi and let it sit for a few hours.

Back