Side-by-side kegerator/ferm fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullet6577

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've read through LOTS of side by side builds on here and have the basic concept down but I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around the wiring for the temp controllers.

The candidate is my (probably 15 or so year old) GE side by side that I inherited from my parents about 10 years ago that has been doing duty as an overflow and beer fridge and more recently beer/keg fridge in my garage. I would like to keep the defrost controls in working order with the freezer side housing the kegs and taps while the fridge side acts as my fermentation chamber (as plenty on here have done before me.)

I already have an STC-1000 and plan on getting another or may switch to the ITC-1000s to have Fahrenheit if I choose.

This fridge has a single thermostat with a damper between the sides so I can't control each side without the use of a couple new holes and fans.

My question is, can someone take a look at this wiring diagram and help me figure out what I need to do to get this working. I've done electrical work in the past but seem to have forgotten how to read a schematic over the years. Or I've had enough beer since last time I had to do it that my brain can't comprehend them anymore.

I think I can get power from the orange wire and neutral will be brown. Where would I tie into power to keep defrost functional? Where do I need to tap into for the fans to get power?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

garage_fridge_wiring.jpg

After realizing that I was way over thinking what I was trying to do, I think I have it worked out. I also found out from a continuity test tag on some of the wires that this fridge is actually from 1990

Live to the STC-1000 comes from the orange wire to the light socket
Neutral is from the brown wire at the old thermostat

For cooling, I used the gray coming from the defrost timer so the STC won't be able to run the compressor during the defrost cycle with the other side going to the same brown wire at the "thermostat."

For now, I have the temp probe in the fridge side set to 2.8C to see if it will get back to normal temps and hold there. I'll eventually get another STC or switch to ITCs and move this probe to the freezer and open up a few holes with fans to control the fridge side

I had red wire handy for testing purposes but will wire it in more permanently another time.

20170119_211352.jpg

Back