Side by side fermentor/kegerator (yes another one)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slimgid

Reaction score
I picked up a side busier fridge today to convert to a kegerator/fermentor. I've read through a few threads on this but was hoping to get some input as to my plan. Seems there are a few ways to do this...

The controls are labeled "air balance" which manually opens the damper between the freezer and fresh food side. And "thermostat". My assumption is the thermostat measures temps in the fresh food side and is responsible for cycling the compressor and evap fan which are actually in the freezer side.

This is my plan. Remove the original thermostat and wire in an inkbird controller with the temp probe in the freezer side (now the kegerator side). Set this controller to serving temp (40 ish). Remove the damper and in its place put a computer fan that will blow air from the freezer to the fermentor side controlled by a second inkbird (60-70). The second inkbird will also controll some sort of heating element tbd.

Does this seem like a sound idea to those of you who have done similar such projects?

I like to use my fermentation chamber to lager and cold crash. If you do the same, you will never be able to get the fermentation side down below your serving temps to accomplish this. You may be able to get away with the higher temps but I am guessing your cold crash/lager may not be as effective.

Good thought. Could I accomplish cold crashing/lagering with more fans from the freezer side? Maybe even a large opening with a removable panel?

Oh I see what you are saying... The service side will always be the coldest temp achievable in the system!

I also am setting about this in the way described with the hopes that the fridge will still do its normal defrost cycle. Will that still happen with this set up?

Good thought. Could I accomplish cold crashing/lagering with more fans from the freezer side? Maybe even a large opening with a removable panel?

Oh I see what you are saying... The service side will always be the coldest temp achievable in the system!

Just lager in kegs on the freezer side. Sure you might be at 40F instead of closer to freezing, but... good enough.

After a few weeks of chipping away at this I finished up a few days ago and have my first brew fermenting nicely in this fridge... But I noticed one hiccup. When the fan is running to cool the fermenting side there isn't much air flow with the doors closed (used my phone to shoot a video inside with doors closed). It makes sense that with the doors closed and more or less air tight that the fan can move lots of air volume from the freezer. It's is working ok but I was thinking of adding another louvered vent that would allow air from the fermenting side to the service side when the fan is on. Thinking this would create a circulation of air.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1445618312.592912.jpg

This is my current fan louvered vent. This is with the doors open so it flows nicely. Was thinking of adding the same vent but on the service (freezer side) facing the opposite direction. Hoping that air would move easily between the 2 sides bringing the fermenting side down more efficiently.

Has anyone had to do this, or does anyone see a problem with my logic?

Latest posts

Back