shriveled up dry and blackened leaves?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edsrockin

Reaction score
about 3 months ago i planted some nugget rhyzomes in a bed of root hormone (we have TN clay for substrate). i pretty much left them alone other than throwing some water at them from time to time.

they were doing great. i had shoots coming up on all the plants. about a week ago i noticed that a few of the plants had leaves that were yellowing. they are between 12" and 3' now, depending on the plant.

they are planted on a hillside slope so there should be adequate drainage. 2 days ago i spread 2 handfuls of 20-20-20 per mound.

yesterday we had a helluva storm with strong (nearly hail-like) rain and a pretty good wind. today i went out to survey damage and retrain any bines that got blown off and saw that the leaves were shriveled up and in some cases had some black coloration to them. they weren't like that a short 2 days earlier.

so did the water and fertilizer together cause this drastic change? was 2 handfuls per mound too much fert. ? would root rot from saturation of a storm manifest itself that quickly?

i have no idea what to do (and more importantly NOT to do). thanks all

DSCF6459.jpg

if all the white i see around the base of your plants is the fertilizer u definitly overdid it. not sure then if scraping the fertilizer away and hosing then to flush the fertilizer out will help. not an expert but id definitly say 2 handfuls of 3x20 is waaay 2 much per mound. if ur hands as big as mine that would have been enough for almost a 10'by 10' garden

I'd bet that fertilizer is meant to be a few tbsp per several gallons of water, over several plants. When in doubt, under fertilizer.... People often underestimate the amount of available nutrients.

This is something I happen to know... I am the owner/developer/manufacturer of an aquatic plant fertilizer.

It is relatively hard to get to a toxic level of ferts in most plants, but "handfuls" is rarely a measurement we should be using.

Back