Showing some Pilsner love

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johntangus

Reaction score
OK, for my christmas present to myself, i am purchasing a digital temp controller for my chest freezer which has stood dormant since October.

Since starting homebrewing, i have been exploring the world of Ales. But now that i will be master over my fermentation temps, i want to try brewing a lager. So, i figured that i should purchase a few commercial versions first.

I bought a sixer of Czechvar and a sixer of Victory Prima Pils.
They are both outstanding.

I had forgotten the pleasure of pounding a beer since giving up Bud Light many moons back. I pounded three Czechvars in the span of about an hour. The spicy Saaz, biscuity malt and clean yeast profile lend a complexity that i had not previously tasted in a lager. After pounding those three, i was done, but am back tonight for a few more.

The Prima Pils is much different, in that it is a German Pilsner, and much lighter and way hoppier. Not having tasted many traditional German Pilsners, I would guess that this is an american interpretation that is appealing to all the hop heads.

I have to say that after drinking and enjoying high ABV and hopbomb (extreme?) ales for many months, these wonderful pilsners are seriously getting me excited for my digital temp control.

Has anyone brewed any all-grain Czech pilsner recipes from our fave online HBSs? I'm looking at Northern Brewer and Midwest - they both look great.

Also, what other commercially available Pilsners have people been enjoying?

supposedly the prima pils is designed after a heavily hopped one from germany. but i'm sure the american influence pushed it further. i've heard that the AHS clone is pretty good. one of my next beers will definitely be in the vein of prima pils, i flippin love that beer. i got a chance to visit the Victory brewing company last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. they had a wet-hopped pilsner that was stellar as well.

a good czech pils to try if you can find it there is lagunitas czech pils. i'm also a fan of other german ones (konig pils, weihenstephan original, bitburger). i think stoudt's out of pennsylvania has a good pils, new belgium's blue paddle i think is pretty good, but not all that hoppy, very clean. just tried the sam adam's 'noble pils' and wasn't all that impressed. the hoppiness was good, but i didn't like the malt profile or yeast character of that one. the summit pilsner is decent as well, similar to blue paddle, clean and not too hoppy.

The originator of the style still creates one of the best pilsners you can find.... Pilsner Urquell. However, I recommend trying it on tap... imports in green bottles just do not hold up well taste-wise IME.

Ah, pilsener, the lager I eventually wish to conquer. I have also been restricting myself to ales. However, now that I have temperature control I'm anxious to try a couple of lagers. I love a good bock and have enjoyed a couple of Sudwerk pilseners over the past few weeks. Every time I drink it I think, "I love ales, but here's a lager I'd desperately love to have in the pipeline!"

I've got a pilsner fermenting away right now, ready for the lagering soon. Best I can tell, pilsners (czech pilsners at least) are pretty simple. Pils malt, saaz hops. I didn't do a decoction so I added some dextrine. We'll see how it turns out, but it will be fantastic to have a nice crisp sessionable lager on tap.

I just had Prima Pills about a month ago. I must admit I was with you on the all ales side. But, after having that beer I am itching for a pils like that. The main issue is that I have no real form of temp control. So we'll see if I actually do it in the future.

Man that is a great beer though.

Latest posts

Back