Show us your plumbing install!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

High_Noonan

Reaction score
I am trying to figure the best way to plumb my detached garage in eastern Massachusetts for brewing. Code is a 5' deep ditch, but my backyard is only 10' wide. This ain't happening. The best I have come up with is to punch a hole through the side of the cinder block wall and install an outside faucet as the supply line for the garage. I am connecting this faucet to the outside faucet on the house via a drinking water rated (RV) hose. Still with me?

On the inside of the cinder block wall, I have set up a sink. Currently, this can only supply cold water, but the goal is to get one of those small, under-sink spot heaters to take care of the hot water needs. This will please my wife as we can then wash the garden dirt off our hands not in her kitchen sink. With such a small yard, this is not a lot of dirt, but she'd like to keep it out of her kitchen all the same.
Fine. Good. Hot and cold water to the sink. Great.

This leaves the water supply to whatever type of brewing contraption I finally decide on. Seeing as how I am down to about seven gallons on hand, this had better be figured out fast! At this point, I have two "T"s hanging off this supply line. While I know that two branches are staying under the cabinet, I am trying to figure out how best to plumb the supply for the HLT.

After looking at so many of the awesome builds shown here, I've started to notice that there are not a lot of pictures, or even discussions (that I have found so far), about the basic plumbing in your brewing spaces, be it your patio, your driveway, your garage or your custom built brew shack. I am sure that most folks will say garden hose or bottled water, but I know that there are some extremely dedicated individuals that post here and they frequently go above and beyond in order to make their brew days that much easier and enjoyable. It is from these folks that the rest of us learn the most.

Water is the key component that really dictates the basic quality of your beer. Delivering and managing that component should probably be addressed, right? Delivery? Filtering? Reclamation? There is a lot of room for a conversation here.

When I was living in an apartment, prior to getting married, I extract-brewed with 2.5 gallon bottles of "spring" water from my local corner store. I brewed 80 gallons (yeah, I seriously over-estimated) for the wedding reception last year, and I had a massive pile of empty plastic jugs to recycle as a result. That really drove home to me about the amount of water that is involved in brewing; not just the boiling, but also all the washing and rinsing. I am trying to think about how I can recapture some of it (grey water) for further use in the brewing process. I'd seriously welcome any ideas.

And, I would also hope that this thread could be a vehicle to show not only me, but other brewers who are also making the switch to all-grain how they should design their water supply lines if they are lucky enough to be able to do so.

What do you think? Anything you'd like to share?

I do alot of plumbing work in Pa and while its not as cold as Ma I can't imagine frost line reaches more than 3 ft. your code probably says 5 ft. I am not saying not to get a permit but a which ditch makes a 3-4 inch wide hole and they can dig 3 ft down easily. check to see what the true frost line is in your area 3 ft down my be deep enough. Of coarse if code says 5 ft it won't pass inspection if you pull a permit.

I've got a poly tube line on a Tee fitting hooked up to my RO Water unit. I just plug it in with a quick fitting connecter when brewing and fill the kettle. I brew indoors now and have a bathroom with a sink & a shower so water is right where it needs to be. I love the RO water for brewing with a few simple Cal Chloride and/or Gypsum additions I am good to brew. The hand held shower head makes for easy clean up.

Back