Show us your Mead in a photo!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My pomegranate melomel,

image.jpg

Beautiful bochet. Before fermentation, it tastes like burnt smores, with elements of molasses, honey, graham crackers, and burnt marshmallows. Going to be intriguing after aging a couple of years.

r20150307_161849.jpg

r20150309_110637.jpg

Beautiful bochet. Before fermentation, it tastes like burnt smores, with elements of molasses, honey, graham crackers, and burnt marshmallows. Going to be intriguing after aging a couple of years.

How did you keep the wasps and bees away? When I made a Bochet a couple of years ago, in my kitchen, they were swarming around the windows and oven vent, some even got in the house, it was crazy...

How did you keep the wasps and bees away? When I made a Bochet a couple of years ago, in my kitchen, they were swarming around the windows and oven vent, some even got in the house, it was crazy...

Ahaha! Funny you mention that. I'd read about that phenomenon prior to the boil, not sure if it was true or not. I am now a believer, as we were the "topic of interest" for a great many bees, and probably wasps too. The friend I did this mead with suggested that we call it "Shoo Bee Bochet," and that has a nice ring to it.

Ahaha! Funny you mention that. I'd read about that phenomenon prior to the boil, not sure if it was true or not. I am now a believer, as we were the "topic of interest" for a great many bees, and probably wasps too. The friend I did this mead with suggested that we call it "Shoo Bee Bochet," and that has a nice ring to it.

I like the name! Your post inspired me to hit the cellar and pull out a dusty bottle of mine, at least two years aged. The color is lighter than I remember, and it has cleared up so nicely.

boch.jpg

And the taste?
well, that will have to wait, have not tried it in over a year, but back then had a really nice, slightly smokey, sweet taste of .. cranberries and clover? It has been a while, not sure why I am hanging on to it (along with several bottles of various meads made over the years) but will find the proper time to open it again. A bit of a re-post from two years ago, I have a couple of bottles of each saving and aging. Left to right: Traditional Mead (honey, water, yeast - but you all know that) ; Colorado Peach (18% abv!); Bochet (was dark as night but after a year aging has turned very reddish, don't know why, love the color and clarity); Game of Thrones Mead - "Khaleesi's Capsumel (jalapeno peppers, dates, Colorado sourced honey); Lemon Grass Mead (very young, simply traditional mead with several stalks of split lemongrass for three weeks in secondary); and a very old bottle of JAOM made with oranges, grapefruit, and raisins. Not shown, second batch of a Sparkling Hefe Mead (noble hops, fermented using Bavarian hefeweizen yeast).

MeadstoDate2.jpg

It might be sad, but I'm quite sure I remember that beautiful picture. Nice work, man. The spacing between the bottles leads me to believe you are either a carpenter or an engineer.

I'm interested in your review, should you sample the bochet again. Any hints of chocolate?

Here are the ones we've bottled so far. The beginners mead from stormthecastle.com, a spiced mead made with distilled water, a traditional brew and a regular mulled mead. The beginner one ended up sparkling bc we bottled it too soon, but that was an interesting experience. Haven't had any bottle bombs yet though.

View attachment 1426429218137.jpg

Here is my Naked Mango. It was racked about 3 weeks ago after 4 weeks in primary. I think I got it off of quite a bit of the yeast but there is a ton of solids left. I used Naked Mighty Mango Juice in the recipe which is more like a smoothie. There are a lot of solids in it because it contains pureed banana and maybe pulp from the mango. I may not get much into the bottles from this but it sure tastes good so far. I think it may cause anyone drinking it to get naked...
I'll try not to post any photos of me drinking it. :ban:

naked-mango-1-65339.jpg

I just started my second raspberry mead in my 2 gallon fermenter. I was able to make 1 1/2 gallons of mead and added 1 1/2 pounds frozen raspberries. When all is said and done I hope to get 1 whole gallon of mead to bottle.

rasp-mead-v2-65341.jpg

Bottled my Raspberry Melomel today. It is pretty young (about two months old) but it cleared nicely and I wanted to get it off the lees. I didn't want to worry about too much head space after racking so I bottled it. It finished at 1.001 and has a hint of sweetness and it already tastes quite good.

bottled-raspberry-melomel-65397.jpg

Back