Show Us Your Label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's one I made during my lunch break yesterday. It's for my first bottled batch in a year or so--since I started kegging. Going to age these guys for a while! I might even wax the caps. I'll post the finished product when I get there. I wanted it to look sort of like a moonshine label.

PoBoy2015.jpg

That is great! What did you use to print?

Thanks.

The labels were designed in Photoshop, laid out in MSWord, and printed on light card stock with a laser printer. Cutting them out with scissors is a pain in the a$$ but luckily I don't have to cut too many of them.

Originally I had designed the labels for bottles, but I usually share my homebrew in growlers so the tag option just made sense.

I've gone to a simpler style of label recently mostly because my old labels took so long to make I didn't have the time to finish them for every batch.

I can make 3 of these layouts in the time it took to do one of the other. They're a bit more retro in style. I'll probably keep tweaking the template but I'm pretty happy so far.

I even redid one of my old labels in this new style:

Old: View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1427799828.350836.jpg
New: View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1427799845.674198.jpg

Printing them on tinted paper gives them a bit more pop:

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1427799621.396218.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1427799891.083496.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1427799917.529513.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1427799949.364920.jpg

Also cheaper since it's only Black toner and I get 9 to a page for 12oz and 6 for bombers.

[
3cb994b4-02d6-4b8a-91dd-4ad78038b35d_zpsmrogvz5b.jpg~original

beer2_zpsj88drxaw.jpg~original

The colored paper trick i have to try, that sounds like a good way to make more labels, cheapish.

I've been useing milk as an adhesive, it seems to work well, it sticks, but also comes off with a bit of hot water.

:off: ( slightly )

What program is everyone using for these labels?
I had previously used word, but it always came out like poo!

I use gimp and generally just search for labels that are similar to what i want and then edit them.

I'd use photoshop, but i don't like paying that much ;D

I HIGHLY recommend using Knox gelatin as an adhesive... super cheap, easy and it will stay on submerged in a cooler! Little hot water and its off in seconds! Search the forum for Knox and you'll find instructions

I make mine in Gimp which is sort of an open source version of Photoshop.

The new label for my Black IPA (I was wearing a Johnny Cash shirt when I named it, brewed it and racked to secondary -- purely by coincidence).

Hurt.jpg

I use photoshop and love it, but if you don't want to spend a lot of money and are an honest law abiding citizen, then GIMP is free substitute, or even photoshop elements (much cheaper) would be good. For some reason I always had bad luck with gimp but most that try it dig it

Gimp user here also!
Been a lurker here forever, recently joined - here is one of my latest label projects; for a porter I brewed last month and the "poster" I did to go along with it (I usually print one of these to photo paper and hang it in my home bar when I tap a new beer) - the race car is from iracing - a online racing simulation that I do when time permits

scp_zpsnoi6yzac.png

SMOKINPOSTER_zpsvim446mm.png

And a label for a Moose Drool clone:

slobber_zpsifrouzmu.png

And my new "Skeeter Pee" label - wanted something a little more "wine" looking for this brew, but still wanted to retain some of the "tongue-in-cheek" humor of it's heritage- the name is the french translation of "the piss of the mosquito" - At least according to google translate.

skeeterpee2_zpsqqf3xilt.png

I use photoshop and love it, but if you don't want to spend a lot of money and are an honest law abiding citizen, then GIMP is free substitute, or even photoshop elements (much cheaper) would be good. For some reason I always had bad luck with gimp but most that try it dig it

For anyone using a Mac, Pixelmator is incredible. It's not free, but not expensive.

And my new "Skeeter Pee" label - wanted something a little more "wine" looking for this brew, but still wanted to retain some of the "tongue-in-cheek" humor of it's heritage- the name is the french translation of "the piss of the mosquito" - At least according to google translate.

skeeterpee2_zpsqqf3xilt.png

Wow. Your "skeeter pee" is 18.5%abv ?!

Would you mind sharing the recipe?

First stout and first label.. a stout with a chocolate twist. It is still in the fermenter and at 6% after only a week it's going to finish quite a bit stronger than I expected... hence the name.:cross:

Black_Devolver_Stout_Label.jpg

Good to hear, bar the waay off metric conversion it worked out well, obviously I don't normally deal in ounces!!

Back