Quantcast

Show Us Your Label

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

bobeer

Fermentation Specalist
Reaction score
Here's one I made during my lunch break yesterday. It's for my first bottled batch in a year or so--since I started kegging. Going to age these guys for a while! I might even wax the caps. I'll post the finished product when I get there. I wanted it to look sort of like a moonshine label.

PoBoy2015.jpg

monkeeroot

Reaction score
That is great! What did you use to print?
Thanks.

The labels were designed in Photoshop, laid out in MSWord, and printed on light card stock with a laser printer. Cutting them out with scissors is a pain in the a$$ but luckily I don't have to cut too many of them.

Originally I had designed the labels for bottles, but I usually share my homebrew in growlers so the tag option just made sense.

Schemy

Reaction score
Relocating this. My hand drawn Gaurdians of the Galaxy inspired, "Starlord Galaxy Ale" label. CC welcomed and encouraged.
Can I steal this for a Galaxy Pale Ale I'm doing for our club beer camp.

mike89t

Reaction score
My new "Extra Special Bitter" label and the final printed product with custom bottle caps from Grogtag

AngryOwlExtraSpecialBitter_Grog.jpg

GrogtagAngryOwl.jpg

PaseoCrossingCaps.jpg

Siberian

Reaction score
I've gone to a simpler style of label recently mostly because my old labels took so long to make I didn't have the time to finish them for every batch.

I can make 3 of these layouts in the time it took to do one of the other. They're a bit more retro in style. I'll probably keep tweaking the template but I'm pretty happy so far.

I even redid one of my old labels in this new style:

Old: View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1427799828.350836.jpg
New: View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1427799845.674198.jpg

Printing them on tinted paper gives them a bit more pop:

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1427799621.396218.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1427799891.083496.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1427799917.529513.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1427799949.364920.jpg

Also cheaper since it's only Black toner and I get 9 to a page for 12oz and 6 for bombers.

Kharnynb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
[

The colored paper trick i have to try, that sounds like a good way to make more labels, cheapish.

I've been useing milk as an adhesive, it seems to work well, it sticks, but also comes off with a bit of hot water.

Pyg

Reaction score
:off: ( slightly )

What program is everyone using for these labels?
I had previously used word, but it always came out like poo!

Kharnynb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I use gimp and generally just search for labels that are similar to what i want and then edit them.

I'd use photoshop, but i don't like paying that much ;D

Sanker

Reaction score
I HIGHLY recommend using Knox gelatin as an adhesive... super cheap, easy and it will stay on submerged in a cooler! Little hot water and its off in seconds! Search the forum for Knox and you'll find instructions

Siberian

Reaction score

I make mine in Gimp which is sort of an open source version of Photoshop.

sboyajian

Reaction score
The new label for my Black IPA (I was wearing a Johnny Cash shirt when I named it, brewed it and racked to secondary -- purely by coincidence).

Hurt.jpg

Nomofett

Reaction score

I use photoshop and love it, but if you don't want to spend a lot of money and are an honest law abiding citizen, then GIMP is free substitute, or even photoshop elements (much cheaper) would be good. For some reason I always had bad luck with gimp but most that try it dig it

Aniseed

Reaction score
Gimp user here also!
Been a lurker here forever, recently joined - here is one of my latest label projects; for a porter I brewed last month and the "poster" I did to go along with it (I usually print one of these to photo paper and hang it in my home bar when I tap a new beer) - the race car is from iracing - a online racing simulation that I do when time permits

And a label for a Moose Drool clone:

And my new "Skeeter Pee" label - wanted something a little more "wine" looking for this brew, but still wanted to retain some of the "tongue-in-cheek" humor of it's heritage- the name is the french translation of "the piss of the mosquito" - At least according to google translate.

rockydog101

Reaction score
I use photoshop and love it, but if you don't want to spend a lot of money and are an honest law abiding citizen, then GIMP is free substitute, or even photoshop elements (much cheaper) would be good. For some reason I always had bad luck with gimp but most that try it dig it
For anyone using a Mac, Pixelmator is incredible. It's not free, but not expensive.

helterscelter

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
And my new "Skeeter Pee" label - wanted something a little more "wine" looking for this brew, but still wanted to retain some of the "tongue-in-cheek" humor of it's heritage- the name is the french translation of "the piss of the mosquito" - At least according to google translate.

Wow. Your "skeeter pee" is 18.5%abv ?!

Would you mind sharing the recipe?

zippy84

Reaction score
First stout and first label.. a stout with a chocolate twist. It is still in the fermenter and at 6% after only a week it's going to finish quite a bit stronger than I expected... hence the name.:cross:

zippy84

Reaction score
Good to hear, bar the waay off metric conversion it worked out well, obviously I don't normally deal in ounces!!