Show us your Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Inside

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389462291.172330.jpg

Well I am new to this forum and was reading about the kegging since I brewed beer about 10 years ago and gave up because of bottling. Anyhow this forum gave me the idea for a keezer and so I used our old chest freezer and a little over 300 bucks of supplies and equipment and here is the finished project...wife even allows it in our family room which is AWSoME. 3 taps are for beer and two for pop. I have two CO2 tanks and regulators. One regulator is dual and so I can carbonate beer with one side and keep the other in tap. The pop is on its own system. Thanks to this forum I got the CO2 tanks from [email protected]. [ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389627260.993302.jpgATTACH]171928[/ATTACH]ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389627142.835826.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1389627163.911322.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1389627192.983561.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389627104.291753.jpg
    ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389627104.291753.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 1,938
Huh! What a good idea, beerlover47993! That added face plate that overhangs the front of the freezer would have been a good idea for mine. Solves a couple issues.

1. forms a splashplate built in, covers the sealed crack between my collar and freezer where gunk likes to accumulate, and needs to be cleaned out regularly
2. Allows you to attach a drip tray without drilling into the freezer!

Brilliant! When mine dies I am adding that to the plan.

Well, after three years of brewing (though I really ramped it up the past year), I finally took the dive into kegging today... Sorta.

I was in talking to my local homebrew shop owner today and got talking about kegging. It's something that I knew I wanted to do for quite awhile, but today I had a bug up my ass to just do it. I left my LHBS and took a look on Craigslist. I found a free working refrigerator. I stopped by and picked it up and went back to my LHBS.

He quoted me $490 for a three tap system with dual regulator (one for filling a keg, plus the line out to the three tap system), a 15lb filled CO2 tank, and four kegs. Everything is new except the kegs and CO2 tank. One problem is that he was out of kegs! Oh well, I guess I can wait... I usually shop around, but his price seemed reasonable, I like the guy, and I can sometimes be a bit impulsive! I paid ahead of time for the kegs, and he said I'm first in line when they come in (withing a week or two).

Anyhow, everything is set up, with the exception of a bunch of stickers to put on the fridge and the kegs and beer, of course!

DSC_0475-XL.jpg

DSC_0476-XL.jpg

DSC_0479-XL.jpg

Well, after three years of brewing (though I really ramped it up the past year), I finally took the dive into kegging today... Sorta.

I was in talking to my local homebrew shop owner today and got talking about kegging. It's something that I knew I wanted to do for quite awhile, but today I had a bug up my ass to just do it. I left my LHBS and took a look on Craigslist. I found a free working refrigerator. I stopped by and picked it up and went back to my LHBS.

He quoted me $490 for a three tap system with dual regulator (one for filling a keg, plus the line out to the three tap system), a 15lb filled CO2 tank, and four kegs. Everything is new except the kegs and CO2 tank. One problem is that he was out of kegs! Oh well, I guess I can wait... I usually shop around, but his price seemed reasonable, I like the guy, and I can sometimes be a bit impulsive! I paid ahead of time for the kegs, and he said I'm first in line when they come in (withing a week or two).

Anyhow, everything is set up, with the exception of a bunch of stickers to put on the fridge and the kegs and beer, of course!

DSC_0475-XL.jpg

DSC_0476-XL.jpg

DSC_0479-XL.jpg

Beer solutions? In Wilkes Barre?

Welcome to the club! You'll never look back on those bottling days of yesteryear with nostalgic fondness.

By the way, your local guy is well entitled to the few bucks of profit built in to that very reasonable price. Amortized over the first four batches, it will be pennies on the glass and you'll have ensured his continued existence.

Here is mine! It is all oak covered old chest freezer that was white when I started. I added a thermostat and it works great!

470.jpg

Huh! What a good idea, beerlover47993! That added face plate that overhangs the front of the freezer would have been a good idea for mine. Solves a couple issues.

1. forms a splashplate built in, covers the sealed crack between my collar and freezer where gunk likes to accumulate, and needs to be cleaned out regularly
2. Allows you to attach a drip tray without drilling into the freezer!

Brilliant! When mine dies I am adding that to the plan.

Thanks....and yes the photo makes it look like you don't have room for a pint but you do...got the drop trays from amazon...14.95 for 10 of them

One for the house and one for the garage...lol

Updated the basement one with a temp controller the other day, makes life so much easier to set it and forget it and don't have to worry about what the temp really is..

The basement one was an actually kegerator, removed the tower and drilled through the door to eliminate foam.

The garage one is a marvel fridge and again just drilled through the door.

20140119_113438.jpg

20140119_113526.jpg

20140119_113942.jpg

I needed a tower on top to keep things out of a toddler's reach. The tower side stays put over the compressor and the left side lifts off for keg access.

That is brilliant! I hadn't thought of moving the tower off to the side. I've been wrestling with the best way to build mine and when I saw this it became a slam dunk. Good work! When I get mine done I'll see about putting up some pix.

Thanks!

Before & after. :)
Freezer was big enough to fit a 20# co2 + 3 corny's with room to grow. Promised my wife that 1 tap will always have a gluten-free variety and she was happy.

IMG_6713.JPG

It looks a beercade machine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

SavoryChef, nice work!! What's your spacing between rows of faucets? Can you pour OK from the top row, or do you wish you had given more room? I have an upright freezer and am planning on doing something similar.

Ok, that is pretty impressive! :mug:

Looks like the top row uses longer shanks than the bottom and is staggered relative to the bottom row to ease the pouring situation...

Cheers!

Work in progress!

keezer1_zpsd615c32e.jpg

keezer2_zps0bd68400.jpg

Still needs faucets obviously, and the wood doesn't have any finish on it. I am also getting a hanger for the co2 bottle so it doesn't tip over.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391041011.854528.jpg
Built this on Saturday. Was using it as a regular bottle beer fridge. So I lost one type of fridge and gained a kegerator. Pretty fair trade off if you ask me!

Here are some pictures of my kegerator / keezer build.
It is built into a bedroom closet that I converted to a beer room.
5 perlick 575ss taps
The tap handles are made from wood railings that I cut to size. $2.50 per tap handle. :)
Built on casters so I can pull it out and the top lifts up for the kegs.
LED lights that can change to any color.
The top is cooled with computer fans.... 2-3 degrees difference between bottom and top of the keezer.
Let me know if you have questions. Thanks for all the other pictures on here.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391148706.318585.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391148716.901746.jpg

Here is mine. A 20cf standup freezer.

The finish work on this is awesome! Nice job. :mug:

Now that a few of us have our uprights on here, I think we'll see more of them going forward. For me, the main benefits were the smaller footprint, easier loading/unloading and less fab work (e.g. no collar). It also doesn't hurt that you get to keep all the door shelves for glasses and bottled beers.

I put together a really quick build. A starter set If you will. It's not much because I fully intend to upgrade to a bigger unit once I get a few brews under my belt. My first brew ever is still carbing in the keg. Haven't poured a glass yet...

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Home Brew mobile app

1391194813709.jpg

1391194827738.jpg

I put together a really quick build. A starter set If you will. It's not much because I fully intend to upgrade to a bigger unit once I get a few brews under my belt. My first brew ever is still carbing in the keg. Haven't poured a glass yet...

Haven't poured a glass yet and already built a keezer. Nice. Do you have a ferm chamber as well?

Sure do. I'll make a thread in the DIY section.

That's great. I saw the 2nd chest freezer in the pics. Starting strong! I couldn't belive how much my beers improved just by accurate temp control. Makes serving from the kegs so much better!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

That's great. I saw the 2nd chest freezer in the pics. Starting strong! I couldn't belive how much my beers improved just by accurate temp control. Makes serving from the kegs so much better!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

That freezer is a spare. The hump takes up half the freezer. I'd need a 10+" collar to fit a 3rd Corny in there. Still haven't decided what to do with it

Latest posts

Back