Show us your favorite bottle opener

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxStout

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Inspired by a recent thread on paint can openers as bottle openers, I thought I'd start this. What's your favorite opener?

I'm kind of partial to this one. $7 on Amazon. The Klein Bottle Opener (for you math geeks, no, it won't open a Klein Bottle).
51Q4p3B6WrL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

This one's my trusty go-to. Beer or wine.

20210810_171012.jpg

This one's been on the wall of each kitchen I've lived in since 2007. It's always the last item to come down on a move out, and the first to go up when moving in. One of my oldest friends, from scouting days, has a matching opener on his kitchen wall too. Every once in a while we'll send the other a pic while opening a bottle. A little 'cheers' from afar.

20210810_171030.jpg

backwood bastard.jpg

My wife got me both so that's pretty much why I like and use them. Copper is from Nest on Canfield (same block as Traffic Jam and across the street from Third Man Records) in Detroit and the pewter one is from Urbanum in Detroit on Woodward.
I have an AC/DC one (well-worn but and on sabbatical) and, always ready, my razor sharp, chef's knife if I don't feel like walking four feet to a kitchen drawer and have had fewer than three beers.
The shark-tunnel (we call it a sharknado) is for our cats and is from 3 Dogs 1 Cat in Eastern Market (Detroit).

Your blade looks familiar.

View attachment 738571
It's uncanny. Is yours from Germany? Yours look thicker and I've not used mine to warrant that much wear. Been drinking so take that into account.
Side note: I've been sharpening my blades now with a stone I bought recently. Kicks butt for sharpening but I fear while learning, I scraped up my sides. I'll live with the marring because of how sharp they are now. I'm guessing I'll get good enough not to scar the facing
Restaurant owners I know always say, "The most dangerous object in kitchen is a dull knife."

It's uncanny. Is yours from Germany? Yours look thicker and I've not used mine to warrant that much wear. Been drinking so take that into account.
Side note: I've been sharpening my blades now with a stone I bought recently. Kicks butt for sharpening but I fear while learning, I scraped up my sides. I'll live with the marring because of how sharp they are now. I'm guessing I'll get good enough not to scar the facing
Restaurant owners I know always say, "The most dangerous object in kitchen is a dull knife."
I love the paring knife (if I've labeled it right).
I cooked from 16 to 28 and learned a bit. Big, big fan of knives. Wife doesn't quite understand that bit about me.
Now that I'm looking (I've been drinking so it's a forking miracle that I noticed) are those streaks from sharpening?

Yup, German. J. A Henckels.

The scars are from general wear and tear over 18 years by a very active home cook. I don't baby this tool.

Yes, dull knives: slightly less dangerous than a mandolin.

Before kids, keeping a classic parallel twin* on the road for everyday commuting was my major hobby. Brewing took its place. Hot wort being safer around toddlers than various petroleum products.

*Admittedly, not British. Also, garage floor isn't covered in oil.
Lost the Thunderbird triple to a large doe one unlucky night back in 2011. No oil under that one. And no bad electrics either. Sadly, I had to give up the street bikes after that. It was my second mishap in 5 years. The first was on a Sprint Executive - also a triple. Neither incident my fault but the twisted metal, broken bones and road rash were mine regardless. Still ride the XR650 thumper on the odd forest road and rural pig trail now and then, but I can’t hit the highway anymore. Pun intended.

Last edited:
Aside from my fingers, to open cans…
I made a bunch of these several years ago. A chunk of 1x2” and a sheet metal screw each. Gave a few away and kept some for myself.
Saved me posting my photo of one of these. Only mod mine has is an ND magnet on the nail side that will hold onto the cap and another on the side of it which allows it to magnet onto the fridge.

very active home cook. I don't baby this tool.
I'm always using mine. It's good for life. I probably fall into the "baby it" category because I like it so much. Luckily, I was only somewhat bummed when I lined it with many new scratches two months ago.

Years ago I asked my wife for a nice bottle opener for a birthday present. She got me this:

TDbsTpW.jpg

It's a solid piece of steel so its got a very nice weighty feel to it. After getting it virtually every brewery near me switched to cans so it rarely sees any use, but when I do get to break it out it's nice.

Saved me posting my photo of one of these. Only mod mine has is an ND magnet on the nail side that will hold onto the cap and another on the side of it which allows it to magnet onto the fridge.
Mine end up migrating between the kitchen, yard, garage, barsement / workshop / brew area etc.
So I drilled out and tied loops onto them so they can be hung up / attached if need be. most places have things to hang them and I have a bunch of keychain carabiners to attach them to things.

Latest posts

Back