Show off your 2012 Hops garden!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Second year Centennial (Left) and Cascade (Right)
Prodigious growth. Hundreds of burrs popped up this month.

IMG_0930[1].jpg

I currently have two plants, Nugget and Chinook. The Chinook is doing better by far. I ripped my Centennial plant out of the ground last year as it never did well getting full sun and grubs were decimating it.

I have five to six lines per plant running up to the roof of our two story house (about 19 feet). I usually have two bines per line. Yesterday the Chinook plant finally hit the bottom of the eaves but the Nugget plant is only about 14ft tall and a little scraggly.

2012-06-17_17-24-57_345.jpg
[/IMG]

2012-06-14_12-20-21_89.jpg
[/IMG]

I had some issues with snails and slugs earlier in the year followed up by Japanese beetles that I had to spray for.

I've had good success using 2tbls of dish soap in a spray bottle and then applying at the base of the hops.

I prefer not spraying the entire bine (too many bines) but hitting the bottom two feet has helped a lot.

The one bug I have a lot of is spiders. Lot's of spiders on the bines but they are not eating the leaves. Last year I lost a few hop cones to spiders but that's all.

Japanese beetles have yet to show up at the house. If they do, I'll put a few traps out and thin the population. I think Milky Spore is really doing the trick.

The one bug I have a lot of is spiders. Lot's of spiders on the bines but they are not eating the leaves. Last year I lost a few hop cones to spiders but that's all.

Oh don't get rid of the spiders, they eat the bugs that potentially eat your hops.

Unless they seem dangerous to you (widows, recluses, violin spiders, etc) you should be happy to have spiders.

Agreed about the spiders. My plants always have a lot of these white-grayish (sometimes orange) dime-sized or smaller spiders but (so far) no pest problems at all. I think the spiders do a good job of controlling the other critters. Come harvest time, I give the bines a good shake and a lot of the spiders will drop off the plants, which makes harvesting the hops more pleasant. Spiders are friends, and I doubt recluses and widows would live in bines--they tend to be ground dwellers, at least, where I live...

and I doubt recluses and widows would live in bines--they tend to be ground dwellers, at least, where I live...

This is true. They tend to live in dark, warm corners or under stuff. Just fair warning anyway.

:off:And just a bit of an FYI, recluses are actually a varied family of spiders.... many of which are teeny tiny and incredibly dangerous. And the Black Footed recluse (or Yellow Sac spider) is known to venture out more often than others. And when they bite with their fangs that are half their body length, they release necrotic toxins that destroy the cells surrounding the bite. The most fun thing is that they bite and don't let go until you kill it or until the hole in your arm has melted away far enough that it can dislodge.

And because I went so far off-topic I ran outside to take a quick snapshot of my hops. They're not getting any more yellow and the yellow portions are turning brown like the plant is trying to get rid of it.

The little guy is seriously taking off now and the big one is still exceeding my expectations by a lot. The bottom foot or so has several 4-6" long side arms, too!

2012-06-19_09-07-51_916.jpg

Well I had a lot of problems with my first year cascade but it finally seems to be going good.

image-2464839122.jpg

image-1483982119.jpg

Cascades continue to grow without regard to water, heat or pests. Centenial is catching up. Saaz is crazy this season. 26ft and bines as thick as as my finger.

Man, three of mine STILL haven't sprouted and these are old plants. Temperatures are hovering in the low 40s at night and it's only been above 80F twice this year. Even the Cascades is only 8-10 feet tall.

ForumRunner_20120620_090331.jpg

ForumRunner_20120620_090345.jpg

Here is the progress of my cascade hops. It's their first year and they were planted in March (warm weather in Nebraska early this year).
I made a hop tipi out of 4 10ft 2 by 2's, twine winding up clock wise and a lot of zip ties :).

Planted late (June 5th) so got a late start. These were 1 gallon crowns from Great Lake Hops (drove there and picked them up - nice people, nice place). Planted them the same day, June 5th. So here is the progression. Last fall I built a raised bed with cedar logs from the cedar swamp in back, and then filled it with the goo from the swamp bottom. Then when I finally I planted the plants.
Closest is cascade, then columbus, then centennial, then northern brewer. I topped it with 3 inches of peat and 3 inches of pine bark mulch. Then last picture I took last night at sunset. Not bad for 15 days. Great Lakes Hops has great plants!

2011-08-19 16.40.17.jpg

2011-08-19 14.49.51.jpg

2012-06-05_17-24-48_604.jpg

IMG_20120620_212347.jpg

So a photo and a question.

Here are some first year hops. Brewer's Gold on the left and Cascade on the right. I have a Centennial and another Brewer's Gold out of the picture that isn't doing as spectacular yet but that's okay. The trellis is about 20 feet tall and the BG hit the top a week ago and the cascade is just about to as well.

The BG kept growing after it reached top and i was able to curl the bine around the horizontal line up there using a pole. Should I nip the top to stop it? Or just let em go?

But what I'm worried about is those crazy BG side arms... about 3-4 feet out now going for the cascades which just started growing out. Should I let them kiss? Try to train them or leave what is is?

Thanks for the help, Scott

photo.jpg

First post ever...

I planted three different hops, Sterling, Golding, and Willamette. The Willamette is over 17 feet, Sterling at about 10, and Golding at 9. Side arms are coming on like crazy. Here is a picture

June 23, 2012 (3).jpg

[...]The BG kept growing after it reached top and i was able to curl the bine around the horizontal line up there using a pole. Should I nip the top to stop it? Or just let em go?

If you can keep training the leaders around the suspension line, it/they will leave a trail of burrs as they go along.

But what I'm worried about is those crazy BG side arms... about 3-4 feet out now going for the cascades which just started growing out. Should I let them kiss? Try to train them or leave what is is?

If adjacent strings were the same strain I'd say don't sweat it, but if they're different I'd train them back onto their respective drops to keep them separated...

Cheers!

So I ended up "going nuclear" a week ago due to the increasing rate of hop leaves turning into confetti, and the single dose of Sevin totally turned the tide. Caterpillars, "worms", and bitey looking bugs rained out of the bines all over the upper and lower decks, and no new sign of chewage since.

I also had given the hops their first fertilizing for the year, and that also seems to have kicked the growth into overdrive. I've been swamped with work lately and confess to being a rather poor steward, but the 15 hop plants are carrying on in spite of my negligence.

To top things off, we had our first heat wave of 2012, with three days well into the 90s°F. I set the drip system to run a couple of hours each day through the duration, hoping to keep the stress to a minimum so the plants didn't start producing "boy parts".

I noticed - too late - that one of the Fuggles leaders had lost its way and draped over the deck railing, and the heat dried it to a crisp. Oh well, the three potted Fuggles are strictly being maintained for 2012 in the hope I can find them an actual home for next year.

Kinda sucky pics as the sky was overcast this late afternoon...

Centennials in the background, Chinooks in the foreground. I've been training all the leaders along their side of the suspension line and there is a butt ton of burrs up there.
hops_23june2012_02.jpg

Cascades on the other end of the deck.
hops_23june2012_04.jpg

Chinook cones on the precocious bine. Those are over two inches long (and still coated with the Sevin, in spite of a brief "fat rain" storm this afternoon).
hops_23june2012_01.jpg

Centennial cones are rocking along, but still a good couple of months from maturity.
hops_23june2012_03.jpg

Cheers!

lightbox

June 26, 2012 lots of luplin in some early cones of cascade can't wait for some fresh hop home brew.

UPDATE: one months growth... holy crap.. :)

IMAG1413.jpg

IMAG1416.jpg

IMAG1360.jpg

IMAG1420.jpg

I do highly recommend Great Lake Hops... Very helpful with my questions and concerns... awesome to deal with and great customer service... So I now have

5 Cascades
3 Centennials
4 Chinooks
2 Columbus...
4 Hallertau
2 Santium
2 Newport
1 Magnum

The first pic are Nugget. The person I got them from kept giving me pithy bines (mistaking them for roots, don't ask) so these are the third try with actual rhizomes and they are finally taking off. They have been 3 inches for a few weeks and now are just hitting 1 foot in a few short days.

The second pic are my Centennials. They started off the fastest, then hit about 4 feet and just stopped. I looked up other forums which other people saw this same thing so I stopped freaking out, it sounds fairly normal. I am monitoring them, there are a few holes in the leaves from pests, but I am spraying them with Schulz Garden Safe Houseplant & Garden Insect Spray (active ingredient are pyerithrins). Does anyone know about that brand, is it good and or safe for the hops?

The third pic is my pride and joy Cascades. When I planted these they were about 6 inches tall. They look to be between 7-8 feet right now. They took off like wildfire. Just today I found 3 Japanese beetles on them, which I removed. I have not had any significant pest problem with these thus far.

Thanks for the forum. Any helpful comments are appreciated. Cheers.

P1020976.jpg

P1020974.jpg

P1020968.jpg

Here is a pic of my small garden. It took me a long time to finish it by myself, but i couldn't be more happy with my results. It was my first time making a raised bed garden, and trellis system. I recycled all the wood from around my backyard, so the only things I bought were soil and twine.

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

jperry said:
Here is a pic of my small garden. It took me a long time to finish it by myself, but i couldn't be more happy with my results. It was my first time making a raised bed garden, and trellis system. I recycled all the wood from around my backyard, so the only things I bought were soil and twine.

What's the bottles for? Drip watering?

This is their first year, centennial and cascades. So far not a lot of growth, but they are trying.

ForumRunner_20120629_205033.jpg

ForumRunner_20120629_205041.jpg

ForumRunner_20120630_084731.jpg

ForumRunner_20120630_084739.jpg

First year hopyard, drilling post holes today, and still a lot more weeding in my immediate future. Been hand pulling weeds from the crowns, due to tangling with the bines, and hoeing one meter around each crown, and finally brought the rototiller down, and tilled in between the rows.

What's the bottles for? Drip watering?

Yea, I use the bottles to slowly and precisely drip water. I saw something similar on tv, called a watering globe. I just used what I had at home, a bunch of empty bombers. My hose doesn't come close to reaching the garden so I've been lugging 5 gallon buckets of water, up a hill, to water the plants.

Last few days have been in the 90s here. We pretty much ducked out of the sun all day, now the sun is ducking out on us.

I ran two strings per each plant, so there are 24 drops from the suspension lines. Nearly all drops have at least two bines but most carry three or more. It's been getting crazy as more leaders reach the suspension line and I train them to run along it.

Four Centennial plants on the far side of that Trumpet Vine, four Chinook on the near side.
hops_01july2012_01_sm.jpg

Four Cascade plants on other end of the decks, along side another Trumpet vine.
hops_01july2012_02_sm.jpg

Centennials are popping with cones, and still making burrs as well.
hops_01july2012_03_sm.jpg

I think some of these Centennial cones will be pickable in a week.
hops_01july2012_04_sm.jpg

One precocious Chinook plant has nearly mature cones on its bines, one is just starting to burr up, and these prodigious two of the Chinooks have a bazillion burrs transitioning to cones. Its going to be interesting to see how big these get, there are so many.
hops_01july2012_05_sm.jpg

These Chinook cones are on the precocious plant. There are far fewer than on the prodigious two, and these look like last season's - which I didn't start harvesting until the last week of August(!)
hops_01july2012_06_sm.jpg

Cascades are also sporting sizable cones. Lots of lupulin already showing...
hops_01july2012_07_sm.jpg

I suspect this season will have a long, drawn out harvest...

Cheers!

holy crap! how many years old are they? whats your secret to such massive growth!?

Latest posts

Back