Show me your diy vent hood.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's how I vent from my garage to the outside. Probably not exactly what you're looking for :) but it may give you some ideas.

I crack the service door about an inch to provide makeup air, and put a propane heater by the door to heat the incoming air. During the more moderate temperatures of the year I just open the garage doors.

kettleexhaustfan.jpg

I can't find any newer post on this site. Does anyone have any other ideas for a hood. I am setting up my electric brewery but, I can't find any ideas that I like. I would love to see some new ideas. Mine will be in my basement with easy access to an exit wall. Any help would be greatly appreciated?

I haven't done the work yet but I plan to make my hood from some metal 55 gallon drums (i can get them for free from a friend). I'll cut the drum in half the tall way, cut one half down a bit then to be sized right over my when I then the two halves together to make a long hood, then cut in a hole for the ducting+fan on the top. I haven't yet figured out how to make and easy drip catch, but i'll talk to my buddy who does a lot of metal work and get something ironed out.

My old DIY hood can be found here.

More than a few people in that thread did a better job than my original and some of the hoods in this thread are very impressive!

My original DIY hood made it through 2 moves and just last week was disassembled so that I could re-use the FRP.

Just finished my hood. Made from .080" Aluminum sheet (4'x4') and 1.25" angle and 0.5" channel (for the drip channel). Total cost just over $100 CAD inc tax. Bought from Metal Supermarkets and they cut and even mitered the angle and channel for me for free. Unfortunately I forgot to take thickness of material into account so I ended up re-cutting 20% of the corners. 6" Vortex fan and speed controller. Hanging from ceiling is temp until I clear space for permanent wall mount.

Attachments

• 20180122_184922.jpg
    20180122_184922.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 731
  • 20180122_184944.jpg
    20180122_184944.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 691
  • 20180122_184952.jpg
    20180122_184952.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 629
Last edited:
Here's what i went with. Basement casement window. Pulled the window out of the frame. Cut a piece of wood to fit the frame. Cut a rectagular hole to match the exhaust vent of a Broan 30" stainless 250cfm range hood i got off craigslist (i'm running 120v brewing setup), sealed everything up and mounted the Broan, installed a cap on the outside of the window with flap that opens and closes when in use and not in use, and wired it up to a plug. Works great, not a single drip during the boil except with its below freezing outside, and even then its nothing a couple wipes during the boil doesnt fix.

Only thing left is to create some kind of false decorative panel to hide the area above the vent. I just havent gotten around to it yet

kOrpKL1.jpg

o0upgoc.jpg

oIhs1PT.jpg

dgIcNyd.jpg

UtTrTB9.jpg

Another old thread perhaps worth unearthing.

DIY Garage Hood and Heat Shield

View attachment 264594
Hi I am very interested in how you buildt this vent hood, I have tried to see to other pictures you posted from 2012 but can not see or open them, any help is greatly appreciated!
Another old thread perhaps worth unearthing.

DIY Garage Hood and Heat Shield

View attachment 264594
Hi I am very interested in asking some questions about this build, I am not able to pull up the old photos you had.

Hi I am very interested in how you buildt this vent hood, I have tried to see to other pictures you posted from 2012 but can not see or open them, any help is greatly appreciated!

Hi I am very interested in asking some questions about this build, I am not able to pull up the old photos you had.
Thank you! Build is in process, I will post pictures when completed.

I built this about 2 years ago, it is made if an old bedframe and the corrugated metal is from Menards. The issue withbthis is the corrugated metal is extremely thin and hard to weld, so I had to glue it in with RTV. There's an LED shop light in there.

Attachments

• 20220412_145358.jpg
    20220412_145358.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 21
Back