Show me your bucket blow off system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DurangoMatt

Reaction score
Looking to see what people are doing for a blow off system if they are using buckets. I have seen some simple systems for glass carboys but I have switched to buckets and want to see your system. Thanks

Looking to see what people are doing for a blow off system if they are using buckets. I have seen some simple systems for glass carboys but I have switched to buckets and want to see your system. Thanks

A tube (? Inner Diameter) which fits tight on the rubber cork and leads to a gowler filled 1/3 full of star san!!!!! No pic needed.

No pics, but I put a tube on the post inside a 3 piece airlock. I run it to a cottage cheese container with a cup or two of Starsan in it. I put it in a large sauce pan in case it overflows.

I use just enough starsan to keep the end of the tube submerged so I don't have to post a thread saying: My fermenter sucked up 2 gallons of Starsan, is my beer ruined. I don't get where people think an eighth of a cup in an airlock is OK, but they need a gallon or more for a blow-off assembly.

I ferment in a (temperature regulated) freezer so I simply enough just dont lock down the lid to the bucket. This lets pressure out and the krausen stays in the bucket. If you ferment in a more open environment I wouldn't recommend this method.

I'm certainly a n00b, but I've been wondering if a tube is at all necessary for (my) buckets. I've run 5 batches so far (approx. 4 gallons in 5 gal Lowes/HD buckets). I have seen zero gunk in the tube. After a couple of days, I switch to a bubbler and usually see consistent C02 escaping. I almost skipped the blow off on today's batch, but couldn't quiet my inner worry-wort. Perhaps next time.

I'm certainly a n00b, but I've been wondering if a tube is at all necessary for (my) buckets. I've run 5 batches so far (approx. 4 gallons in 5 gal Lowes/HD buckets). I have seen zero gunk in the tube. After a couple of days, I switch to a bubbler and usually see consistent C02 escaping. I almost skipped the blow off on today's batch, but couldn't quiet my inner worry-wort. Perhaps next time.

Really depends on how big of a beer you're doing. If high gravity beers (1.065 +) then you will have much more action going on. If ur doing standard low gravity beers (under 1.06) then theres really not a need for blow off tubes.

I dont do a bucket, but different things work great for blow off. I use jugs with sanitizer solution. This is my small batch area

IMG_0730.jpg

Here is my deluxe blowoff jug. 1-gallon apple juice jug, drilled a 0.5" hole in the cap and put a grommet in it, and then drilled four 1/8" holes around it to let gas out. Shove tube through cap into jug about half-filled with Starsan solution. Advantages are that it is very spill-proof, critter-proof, dust and nasty-proof, easy to move and carry, and takes forever to dry out. I use it for apfelwein and other stuff that I'd tend to just slam into primary and leave for months on end.

Blowoff Jug.jpg

Back