Shouldn't you be able to save money buying kegs vs bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiako

Reaction score
I did the math and maybe I did it wrong but the only time you save is if you buy 1/2 of bud or some crap beer..

When you buy 1/6 of good beer you really seem to save almost nothing once you factor in c02 usage.. I don't understand why I am not seeing some decent savings.

I have homebrew on tap right now but still.. I want to have a To Go beer system for parties.

You would think so, but it doesn't seem to be the case. When I've seen good beer in 5L mini-kegs, it's the same or higher than 12 oz bottles.

I want to have a To Go beer system for parties.

Buy these items. You have a To Go System.
3 Gallon Corny
1000.jpg

CO2
Cornelius%20Keg%20CO2%20Charger.jpg

Faucet Adapter
Keg-Faucet-new.jpg

Or EdWort's Setup

3 gallons is too much. Just looking to take 5L..

I did the math and maybe I did it wrong but the only time you save is if you buy 1/2 of bud or some crap beer..

When you buy 1/6 of good beer you really seem to save almost nothing once you factor in c02 usage.. I don't understand why I am not seeing some decent savings.

I have homebrew on tap right now but still.. I want to have a To Go beer system for parties.

1/6 barrels of craft beer are much cheaper than bottles in general. I don't know about you, but dispensing that much beer costs me well under a dollar in c02.

1/6 barrels of craft beer are much cheaper than bottles in general. I don't know about you, but dispensing that much beer costs me well under a dollar in c02.

Where do you buy your craft beer and can you give me a link?

Yeah most places will ding you for the "cool factor" for those "economy" re-usable half-gallon growlers. Only $9.99 to refill! 1/2 Gal = 64oz ... 6'er = 72oz. I'm sorry, I *like* Gorden Biersch, I just don't think their beer is on the same price demand footing as Great Lakes or DFH. Not a savings at all over just buying your fav 6'er of craft...

My math:

$50 for a 1/6th = 53 12 oz beers or .95 per

need 9 6 packs for 54 beers
$8 per six pack (on the low side these days)
$8 x 9 = $72 or 1.34 per

1/6 barrel of local stuff, last time I checked, was $58... $11.24/gallon.
Would be $15.98/gallon in bottles at $8.99/six, so about a 30% discount.

Well the stuff I am talking about isn't really craft beer but better than bud light..

Stuff like shock top and bluemoon, New Castle. They cost about 13 a 12 pack. 1/6th of it costs 55-60..

Back