should I use a blow-off tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyOTG

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm brand new to the forum and thanks to all of the information available here, I think I'm ready to brew my 1st batch of cider. There's just one thing I'm not sure about. This may be a stupid question, but if I am using a 6 gallon carboy and only use 5 gallons of cider, will I need a blow-off tube or should that be plenty of room for foam? Any info or advice would be extremely helpful, thanks!!!

You shouldn't need one for cider, even with the carboy nearly full (5.5+ gal.). I always use one for beers regardless of original gravity (just to be safe).

2 ciders in didn't need a big one, used a small blow off shoved in the bucket hole.

I've only made 1 gallon batches of cider. But I left little to no head room and only used an airlock without any issues. You can always switch to a blowoff tube if it really takes off on you. Just be sure to sanitize (obviously).

Thanks everybody. I plan on getting the 1st batch started next week. I'll be sure to post some updates so long as it' doesn't turn out too terrible.

Thanks everybody. I plan on getting the 1st batch started next week. I'll be sure to post some updates so long as it' doesn't turn out too terrible.

Good luck. It's pretty simple really, wish I would have done it years ago.

I've been using a small blow-off tube using a modified 3 piece airlock but it really hasn't been needed. I'm fermenting 2.5 gallons in a 3 gallon carboy and with champagne yeast or S-05, I have never come close to foaming out of the carboy. I just kinda like the glug, glug noise that comes with the blow-off tube during fermentation. I can hear it through my chest freezer so I know its working without having to open anything up.

Back