Should I transfer into Secondary or wait one week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mioduz

Reaction score
on January 20th I started my second brew (troegs mad elf clone). It had a slow start in the primary fermenter but started bubbling in about 2.5 days. I am using a plastic primary fermenter. My problem is this:
It is still bubbling in the Primary, about once every 30 secs a small bubble. I have to leave tomorrow for Vegas on business. I will not be back until Friday.
Should I leave it in the plastic primary until friday since there is still some activity....or should I transfer over to my glass carboy secondary before I leave.

I had to do a double take when I read this. I'm getting deja vu.
This question seems to be getting asked repeatedly at present for some reason.

Just leave it, it'll be fine.
Have a nosey around the forum, you'll find plenty of explanations as to why.
If you want to move to secondary then that also will be fine.

You would be better of letting it ferment out so just leave it until your return. Have a nice time in Vegas.:)

Orfy - I think it's the post-holidays' pileup.
Yup.

Plus I've had a few days off work so I'm seeing more of it.
The sticky doesn't seem to be doing it's job.
I think also that there are must still be lots of very poor or minimal instructions supplied with kits of equipment and ingredients.

For those reading this thread who are in doubt.
I'd give the following advice.

Leave your beer in the fermenter as long as you can stand it. Your beer will be better.
If you are using a secondary vessel this is for settling, clearing and freeing your fermenter. Unless you are doing an extended ageing or adding extras you don't actually need to move to secondary fermenter

I agree, leave it in the primary and rack when you get back from Vegas. If there's any doubt, waiting is almost always better than doing it too early.

Agreed, leave it alone.

I leave mine in the primary for 3 weeks and skip secondary completely unless I'm dry-hopping or something that calls for a secondary. It will be fine if you just leave it...

-Tripod

When in doubt wait it out. Leave it. It will be better beer for and you will be a better brewer. Win-Win

Back