Should I top off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hagelslag

Reaction score
Just a quick noob question.

I brewed last night and when we were aerating we got a lot of foam.

I though I had topped off enough because it looked like it was a little over five gallons. But I checked it again this morning and after all the foam dissipated it appears to only be about 4.8.

As of this morning there is no airlock activity. I used bottle water and have a extra bottle. Should I open the fermenter and top it off or just ride it out?

Thanks.

You're about 4% short on volume, topping up will get you two more beers and not make any noticable difference IMHO. I'd let it be.

Thanks.

I won't bother topping off. The gravity reading was supposed to be appox. 1.051 and it was 1.055.

Now I'm worried now about the lack of airlock activity. I know its not a indicator of fermentation but on my last batch I made a liquid starter and it took off after just 5 hours. Also all my previous batches I used dry yeast and they were bubbling within 12 hours. I'm just surprised to see this one taking so long. I used two vials of liquid yeast. (had a extra one that was pretty old and Mr. Malty said to use 2 if I wasn't using a starter).

Thanks again.

Thanks.

I won't bother topping off. The gravity reading was supposed to be appox. 1.051 and it was 1.055.

Now I'm worried now about the lack of airlock activity. I know its not a indicator of fermentation but on my last batch I made a liquid starter and it took off after just 5 hours. Also all my previous batches I used dry yeast and they were bubbling within 12 hours. I'm just surprised to see this one taking so long. I used two vials of liquid yeast. (had a extra one that was pretty old and Mr. Malty said to use 2 if I wasn't using a starter).

Thanks again.

I've had yeasts take as much as 3 days before I saw activity in the airlock. Don't sweat it bro.

Back