Should I still rack to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

razorguy

Reaction score
So I followed the Norris Farmer Breakfast Milk Stout recipe found here: www.myoldkentuckyhomebrew.com/beer/

I couldn't upload it directly because it is a .doc file and isn't supported, sorry.

Anyway, I brewed it about four weeks ago. My initial plan was to do two weeks in primary and two in secondary but with Thanksgiving and other things that have been going on, it is still sitting in primary. There aren't any additions going in so would it benefit me to still put it in secondary for a couple weeks?

Still pretty new at this so I wanted to check with the pros. Thanks in advance.

So I followed the Norris Farmer Breakfast Milk Stout recipe found here: www.myoldkentuckyhomebrew.com/beer/

I couldn't upload it directly because it is a .doc file and isn't supported, sorry.

Anyway, I brewed it about four weeks ago. My initial plan was to do two weeks in primary and two in secondary but with Thanksgiving and other things that have been going on, it is still sitting in primary. There aren't any additions going in so would it benefit me to still put it in secondary for a couple weeks?

Package it - no benefit to waiting any longer.

4 weeks, it should be ready to bottle or keg. Stouts can stand a while after kegging to develop

I would just bottle/keg it.

For what it's worth I never use a secondary, I alway go by 2 + 2 + 2 - 2 weeks fermentor, 2 weeks bottle or keg in the warm (same temperature as fermentation) then 2 weeks cool (10° - 12°c). Seems to work for me.

Back