Should I rack yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shlap

Reaction score
I've had an IPA sitting in the primary for 8 days now but the airlock is still bubbling every 15 seconds or so. It's been fermenting at 65 degrees so I'm guessing that slowed the process down a little. Should I wait until fermentation slows down to 1 bubble/minute or just rack it now? Does it matter either way?

I like to rack even if there is a slight amount of activity, so you're guaranteed to get a nice CO2 blanket in secondary, which eliminates the chance of a nasty infection. I'd do it soon, but get a few more opinions.

I'd wait. Even if there is no activity when you rack, there is some CO2 dissolved in solution. The little agitation while acking will release some of this and give you the CO2 blanket you want. I'm assuning you're filling the appropriate size carboy. Siphoning 1 gallon into 5 gallon carboy won't work.

I'd wait, too, until visible fermentation has stopped. My temps this winter are in the high 50's and my fermentations are taking over 2 weeks now. My altbier took a month. Remember, as Charlie says, Relax.....

If it is in a carboy. I usually rack when the head (it has a name) drops. Then it is suppose to be ready.

I would wait as well. Becasue the temps are at 65° fermenatation takes longer but I think it makes a better tasting beer.

Thanks for all of the responses guys! I'll go ahead and wait a few more days.

...and I just thought of another question; I'm using glass carboys for the primary and secondary. When I rack to secondary, I'm going to be dry hopping. What's the best way to get those little hop bags to sink to the bottom? Thanks again!

Add some sort of weight to the hop bag, sanitized of course. Or just throw the hops in without a bag.

so what is the starting og and now final og? I usualy wait at least 2 weeks. Just make sure the gravity isnt droping still otherwise if your bottling you may have bottle bombs, and none of us want that.

If you are using a secondary it doesn't matter when you rack. On old technique known as dropping is still used by some brewers and brewerys. It involves rackng the beer at the 36hr or 1/2 gravity point and leaving the dirty primary yeast and yeast head behind as well as the trub and dead yeast cells. It's more suited to fermenters with taps but can be done with care if you use a siphon.
I've seen some crystal bright beers produced with this method, without the aid of finings.

Back