Should I put a belgian wit in the secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratm4484

Reaction score
This beer is usually cloudy and unfiltered. Should I just skip putting it in the secondary and just move right to bottling?

If you're at Final Gravity then by all means yes bottle... doing secondary will clear it which goes against the style.

This was discussed about a month ago. I kept mine in the primary for around 13 days and bottled it. It tasted great after a week.

We use a secondary for our wit because we don't filter the hops or orange peel out before putting it in the primary. This results in the primary being pretty gross by the time the ferment is done, and will clog spigots and siphons. We usually give it a week in primary, rack to secondary off the gook and give it another week. At that point we either bottle or keg, bottling obviously lets it age further, but if we keg we usually give it another week under pressure. So all in all, three weeks start to finish, primary, secondary, keg. We also try to brew every weekend, so we need to free up our primaries, and secondarying (word?) allows us to do that.

mike

Anyone mind if I throw a quick question in here as well? I transfered mine (also a belgian wit) out of primary, perhaps after about 8 or 9 days. I think fermentation was not done because now there are a ring of bubbles on the top my carboy. Any advice? I'm assuming just leave it and in a week or two bottle/keg. did I perhaps kill or get rid of too much yeast and now it will not go to completion? Thanks and sorry about posting in your thread, I didn't want to make another wit thread for such a short and silly question

Latest posts

Back