Should I harvest the yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

all_about_stouts

Reaction score
Ok well I'm new to homebrewing and I've been doing as much reading and research as I can, but this question is pretty specific and I haven't been able to find the answer.

I brewed the popular extract kit, Caribou Slobber by Northern Brewer, and I'm a few days away from bottling. The kit came with Windsor Ale Beer Yeast, which is a dry yeast. (link for yeast: http://www.danstaryeast.com/products/windsor-ale-beer-yeast)

My question is: Is it worth harvesting the yeast? I plan on doing 1 to 2.5 gallon BIAB batches in the future and I figure this will help save on the costs. I was looking at a recipe for a milk stout and it required an Irish ale yeast. So will this totally screw up the flavor if I use washed Windsor yeast?

Sorry if this is a basic or stupid question! Cheers.

I started harvesting yeast just for practice. Making sure I had the equipment and techniques down.

When I purchase a Private Collection strain or settle on a strain I'll use regularly, I'll be better prepared.

I did recently reused a yeast slurry I harvested 60days ago in a 1-gal jug (a Pico-brew Saison) and fermentation went great. I'll taste it next week.

Go For It,
'da Kid

Ok I'll definitely harvest the yeast. I'm going to purchase an Erlenmeyer flask and stopper to make starters later on. I'm not sure if I should go with the larger 2 liter flask or just stick with the 1 liter since I won't really be doing huge batches.

Any recommendations on sizes or maybe link me to a good one to purchase?

Back