Should I cut back on conditioning sugar for sweet beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pc_trott

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, I started a White House Honey Porter kit from Northern Brewer two and a half weeks ago. The OG was 1.054. The Nottingham ale yeast took off right away, and worked hard for several days, then slowed down and quit working about a week ago. So on the 24th and 26th I checked the gravity, and it was 1.01 both times, for an ABV of 6.24, if I figured it correctly. My question is this:

I tasted the gravity test samples, and the beer tastes to me to be quite sweet. The kit came with 4 oz. of conditioning sugar. If the beer is already sweet and I add the sugar, am I in danger of creating bottle bombs? Should I cut back on conditioning sugar when I bottle in a few days? Or should I wait longer and see if the sweetness of the brew goes down? (A bubble does still esape through the airlock every five minutes or so.) Thanks for any advice!

With standard brewer's yeast (saccharomyces cerevisiae), as long as your finishing gravity was stable over a couple days (as you have checked), You should be good to package with your desired carbonation level.

Use a priming sugar calculator. A popular one is at Brewer's Friend.

Wait a few more days and check the gravity again. If it's still the same it should be done, and the sweet flavor is from residual unfermentable sugars. 1.010 sounds like a reasonable FG for a porter, but it's hard to tell without knowing the recipe. If you're sure it's done, use a priming sugar calculator and weigh the sugar to get the correct amount for the volume of beer at the desired carbonation level.

Back