Should I bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hackinjeebs

Reaction score
Red Ale. Krausen gone after 4 days. Already hit TG. It has cleared up a bit and is about 1 1/2 weeks into primary. Should I wait to hit the 3 week period to bottle or just get it into bottles at the 2 weeks period since it already looks very clear?

Thanks.

Okay. I will stay strong and wait. I can't do more than 3 weeks in primary. Not because I have any time line restrictions or anything, I just don't have the will to wait longer.

did you pitch a nice, healthy starter (or a proper amount of dry)? what was the OG? what kind of yeast did you use? i know people really like to preach the wait longer in primary bit, but I have always felt that if you pitch enough clean, healthy yeast, 10 - 14 days is plenty for the primary for an "average" strength beer, in the 1.050 OG range (obviously different instances call for different measures).

OG was 1.050 on the dot, pitched WL004. Had a good healthy ferment. Took about 12 hours to show signs but then really took off. It was noticeably clearer on day 4. Had a taste too and was delicious. : )

I started giving the beer 3-5 days on average to clean up & settle out well after stable FG. Then bottle. It seems to give stronger hop flavors doing that then when I waited 3-4 weeks. Unless it takes that long to get down to FG. And make sure it tastes good (for green beer) before bottling. Then you'll have some idea if it's cleaned up after itself already.

I am with Union on this one. I have given up on 3-4 week primaries notion (with typical OG beers) and bottle around 1.5-2. The yeast aren't going to be actively cleaning up for more than a few days after FG is reached, so I let them do their aging in the bottle.

Yeah G. I was paying attention to all the different things my beers were doing at various stages,& came to notice that it doesn't take as long as I was giving them to "clean up & settle well". Just modifying my previous methods to get the most hop flavor/aroma I can. Besides malt flavor qualities,o2caps,etc. Hop aroma/flavor is def better.

Okay. I will stay strong and wait. I can't do more than 3 weeks in primary. Not because I have any time line restrictions or anything, I just don't have the will to wait longer.

I think you'll be happy you waited.

I've found that sometimes it SEEMS like the beer is very clear, then after going an extra week or two the layer of trub becomes noticeably thicker with a defined upper layer of newly settled solids. The upper layer seems to consist of finer yeast/sediment that is hardly noticeable while still in suspension.

Yes every beer is different and some clear faster than others, but I think you'll notice more settling if you wait a little longer. Of course, the settling still occurs in the bottle if you package early, but IMO there's no need to have extra sediment in the bottle if you can help it.

Yeah G. I was paying attention to all the different things my beers were doing at various stages,& came to notice that it doesn't take as long as I was giving them to "clean up & settle well". Just modifying my previous methods to get the most hop flavor/aroma I can. Besides malt flavor qualities,o2caps,etc. Hop aroma/flavor is def better.

Couldn't agree more. I noticed definite deterioration in hop character on extended primaries but of course there is no substitute for trying every option out yourself and deciding on your own. Honestly I found there is really no need for an extended primary for beers under 1.060 OG and any benefits of doing so are minimal.

Yeah,basically. I just give it whatever time it needs to reach FG,then add 3-5 days to clean up & clear more. Then bulk prime & bottle with o2 barrier caps in brown bottles. Then place them in boxes with the flaps shut for 3-4 weeks at room temp.

Yeah,basically. I just give it whatever time it needs to reach FG,then add 3-5 days to clean up & clear more. Then bulk prime & bottle with o2 barrier caps in brown bottles. Then place them in boxes with the flaps shut for 3-4 weeks at room temp.

Exactly, the only thing we differ on is the 02 caps...I bottle a 12 pack in 02 caps to save long term and the rest get crown caps. My best friends dad buys half the ingredients if I am brewing something he likes and we split the finished product so it usually goes pretty quick!

I've noticed that at 5 weeks or so in the bottle,Hop aroma/flavors start deteriorating,& malt flavor changes without the o2 caps. With them,these things get better for a few more weeks instead. Interesting, Def welcome change.

Back