Should I bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bustagb

Reaction score
My brown ale has been fermenting for two weeks now, which is how long the instructions say to ferment it before bottling. I am still seeing bubbles come up through the air lock, about one every two or three minutes. Does this mean alcohol is still being produced and I should wait on bottling. I forgot to take a gravity reading so that isn't going to help me. What does everyone think? Thanks a bunch!

Ignore your airlock. Sometimes they're worthless. Open your bucket/carboy and take a hydrometer reading. In about 2-3 days, take another reading. If it hasn't changed at all in 3 days, you're ready to bottle.

Remember, time is your friend. A few extra weeks is only going to improve your beer.

I agree that your best bet is to take a gravity reading now and wait about 2 to 3 days and do it again. If no change, bottle away.

Back