Should i be worried?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ims0ko0l

Reaction score
Did my brew last night and checked it this morning and have some foam from the star San coming out of the airlock should I be worried about any bacteria getting in?

image-2376895586.jpg

No. Bacteria aren't gonna swim through bacteria-killing foam, against the current.

Oh no!! Your screwed! That foam is a sign of bad things!

Just kidding, your fine........ :mug:

If enough bubbles out, just add a bit more star san solution. All good!

Remember that the bad critters have no mobility of their own. We use airlocks primarily for keeping oxygen away from the beer, protecting the CO2 blanket that is formed from being disturbed by air currents. No bad guys are going to migrate through an airlock with liquid in it.

I just can't imagine putting my beer in the carboy until I got all the star san out. But that's me. I know supposedly it's fine but...just seems wrong to me.

I just can't imagine putting my beer in the carboy until I got all the star san out. But that's me. I know supposedly it's fine but...just seems wrong to me.

I think the star san foam is from a solution of it within the airlock. Looks like normal fermentation below it.

WildGingerBrewing said:
It appears infected. Please ship it to me right away for proper disposal.

I would like half the batch to give you a second opinion.. Please ship to jersey

ims0ko0l said:
Did my brew last night and checked it this morning and have some foam from the star San coming out of the airlock should I be worried about any bacteria getting in?

Dear lord take the handle off the carboy and don't try to move a full carboy with that thing.....

Draken said:
Dear lord take the handle off the carboy and don't try to move a full carboy with that thing.....

Really? This thread is about some star san bubbling out of an air lock which is no big deal....just like a carboy handle.

I've never felt the need to use anything besides water in my airlock TBH. I used vodka once because it's supposed to kill any bacteria, but I like to smell my brew when I check on the temp stability and vodka ruins that.

ims0ko0l said:
Address and it will be sent. Lol.

I havent brewed yet. I went to a extract class last week. I bought my kit. now im waiting for the money for my my brew pot, outdoor burner, beer recipe kit and a immersion chiller. Then I too will be enjoying the fruits if my labor. Also im getting a second carboy and getting cider going for the holidays.

brewingmeister said:
Really? This thread is about some star san bubbling out of an air lock which is no big deal....just like a carboy handle.

Unless he wants to snap the neck of the carboy, don't pick it up full with the handle. I think it was more of a PSA, trying to keep a fellow homebrewer safe.

Jerseybrews said:
I havent brewed yet. I went to a extract class last week. I bought my kit. now im waiting for the money for my my brew pot, outdoor burner, beer recipe kit and a immersion chiller. Then I too will be enjoying the fruits if my labor. Also im getting a second carboy and getting cider going for the holidays.

Save some $$ and make your own immersion chiller. Its ridiculously easy.

Draken said:
Save some $$ and make your own immersion chiller. Its ridiculously easy.

Is there any good sites or forums on making your own chiller?

Unless he wants to snap the neck of the carboy, don't pick it up full with the handle. I think it was more of a PSA, trying to keep a fellow homebrewer safe.

I have never really thought about that, but i use one with a Better Bottle.. Am I ok?

DrewBrew08 said:
I have never really thought about that, but i use one with a Better Bottle.. Am I ok?

If a BB is full and you pick it up by the neck you will likely have some suck back from the airlock. I just man handle mine, but it's mainly because I am cheap and didn't buy the handle. I would be worried about stressing the plastic around the neck over time, but its not going to shatter and blow glass everywhere like a carboy.

I still dont use a proper brew pot, I commandeered my mother's old Lobster Pot and its worked fine so far (though I have to be careful of spillover at the start). As for outdoor burners I just use the burner on the side of my grill, a good camping stove works too if you have one laying around. :D

Public Service Announcement

Note on the bottle carrier. It's great when the bottle is empty, but severely lacking when the bottle has been filled with five gallons of brew. Get/make a harness or steal a milk crate to tote around the full carboy safely.

Back