Should I be expecting bottle bombs? What are my options?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bniesen

Reaction score
Good day!
It looks like I made a slight "rookie" mistake. I was in a rush late last night and realized that I primed 3.9 gallons (42 12oz bottles) that I primed with 3/4 cups corn sugar (like a 5 gallon batch). Should I be expecting some bottle grenades? What are my options for saving this batch?
I should note that I don't have anything for kegging....at least not yet!

Thanks for the help!

For the corn sugar, was it a 5oz bag? Or just 3/4 cup from a larger bag?

Looks like you're gonna be carbonating to 2.4 volumes. If my math is correct you'll probably be fine... But do your own research and take proper precautions if necessary.

I didnt get the same number as Velnerj...

I assumed that 3/4 cup is about 5oz. With 5oz of corn sugar, and room temperature beer (68F), you will carb to 3.1vol of CO2. Which is high, but not into the "danger" zone.

Keep them all cold, until they are all consumed. Open with caution, expecting a "gusher". You will have some foamy beer, but you shouldn't have any bombs.

Last edited:
Ok, yeah, I have seen conversions between 4.5 and 5oz = 3/4 cup of corn sugar. So, at worst, you will have around 3 to 3.2vol CO2.

Again, a little high, but not in the danger level.

My calculation came from the assumption that 1c of dextrose was about 4.6oz so 3/4c would be about 3.5oz.... So another reason to measure in weight rather than volume as 3/4c could vary widely....

My calculation came from the assumption that 1c of dextrose was about 4.6oz so 3/4c would be about 3.5oz.... So another reason to measure in weight rather than volume as 3/4c could vary widely....
Thanks for the tip! This was my first brew in about 8 years, I knew I was going to make some goofs along the way. In this case I should have put gallon marks on my secondary (secondary only for dry hopping) and on my bottling bucket. It would have been obvious to myself that 3/4 cup was going to be too much before realizing it after I only bottled 42 12oz bottles. Lessons learned.

Yeah, whenever I bottle, I always transfer to the bottling bucket first, and see how much beer I have to bottle. Then I use an online calculator to calculate how much sugar to use, and then make my priming solution.

Also, I also use weight measurement (grams or ounces) for measuring solid additions (like sugars, salts, etc.).

on opening, pour 80% into a large jug, the rest into your glass. even if it is cloudy in the glass, drink it...

Looks like you will be burping a bunch of bottles. After a few days use a bottle cap opener and gingerly apply just enough pressure to allow some of the gas out of the bottle. This is what they call burping the bottles.

My bottle count is typically in the low 40's and I use the entire 5 oz priming sugar and haven't experienced any bottle bombs. I do recommend conditioning bottles in an enclosed container (I use a cooler) for two weeks. I also discard (to the recycling bin) 10 - 15 empty bottles in each batch so I always have some fresh bottles entering the inventory. Seems like repeated mechanical pressure from capping and gas pressure from carbonation will eventually take its toll on a bottle.

I do 1oz per gallon for a rule of thumb with most beers. My math says you used a smidge over 5oz in 5ga, which is spot on, assuming you really had 5ga. My 5ga carboy is total volume, but with headspace and trub loss I usually get 4ga. Are you sure you actually had 5ga?

They probably won't explode. They'll just gush all over the damn place. I'd let them all condition for 4-5 days, then pop one or two to see how well they've carbonated, and if beginning to gush then pop all the caps then recap them. You might need to repeat this again in another week.

I've bottled more than 160 batches since 1999, if that means anything.

Good luck.

I do 1oz per gallon for a rule of thumb with most beers. My math says you used a smidge over 5oz in 5ga, which is spot on, assuming you really had 5ga. My 5ga carboy is total volume, but with headspace and trub loss I usually get 4ga. Are you sure you actually had 5ga?
My primary fermenter, which has gallons marked reliably, said 5 gallons on the mark. What you stated about trub loss, head space, and usually getting 4 gallons sounds like a correct explanation.

They probably won't explode. They'll just gush all over the damn place. I'd let them all condition for 4-5 days, then pop one or two to see how well they've carbonated, and if beginning to gush then pop all the caps then recap them. You might need to repeat this again in another week.

I've bottled more than 160 batches since 1999, if that means anything.

Good luck.
I'll crack one open tonight and we'll see.

Back