Should I Add Lactose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WilliamWS

Reaction score
Hi. I've got two brews going right now (I'll probably bottle both next week): an Imperial Wit that is dead on-7.4 abv and delicious, and a sort of Belgian style stout. My question is about the latter.
Basically my OG was 1.073 and I was hoping to end up around 1.016. As it turned out I'm finishing at 1.012 (nearly 8 abv). It tastes pretty good and the alcohol doesn't seem to be hot but the beer is a little drier and doesn't have quite as full of a mouthfeel as I'd like. Just wondering if adding a little lactose at bottling would be an awful idea. What do you think? Better left as is?

Belgians tend to be dry, they even use candi to dry them out. On the other hand, it's drier than you'd like. Big stouts are generally a little sweet. I'd say add 4 oz of lactose and see how it works. Maybe as much as 8 oz. Belgian-style stout is going to be a compromise and neither fish or fowl.

Belgian-style stout is going to be a compromise and neither fish or fowl.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking-just trying to play around with something a little different. I'm not going for a sweet stout and it tastes pretty good as is. I just think it would be a little better if it wasn't quite as dry as it is now and if it had a little rounder, fuller mouth feel. Maybe I'll try 4-6oz of lactose just to see what happens.

Latest posts

Back