Shook fermenter - now getting fruity smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dog

Reaction score
Apple Juice; 20.89L
Table Sugar; 3.5kg
Yeast Nutrient; 4 tsp
EC-1118; 2 packs
volume; 23L
OG; 1.098
pitched yeast; Mar 7

It usually takes 4 to 5 weeks to ferment.

Normally when I brew this I get a very slight banana smell from the airlock but nothing strong, and it's not noticeable in the finished product.

Yesterday, which was 5 days after pitching, I gave the fermenter a good rocking/shake hoping to kick up settled yeast thinking it might help speed up fermentation. When I walked in the room today the room smells pretty noticeably of bananas.

Is this bad? Why would shaking the fermenter cause this? Should I not have shaken it?

I did take the airlock off before shaking so it wouldn't get the must in it. I hope nothing got introduced that way. I covered the hole with saran wrap while I shook.

I know that a banana smell can be a sign of esters but I'm not sure why shaking would cause that. Do esters sometimes settle into the lees and by shaking it I've kicked those up along with the yeast?

The banana smell is iso-amyl acetate, it is common early on but tends to disappear quite quick. Shaking it up just released more of it. MLF also helps to get rid of it, though I think it goes anyway.
You don't need to shake cider, I wouldn't recommend it.

Back