Shelf life on extract kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingBeer

Reaction score
I got a free beer kit back like 4 months ago. It's a chocolate milk stout using dry yeast. It's just been sitting in my closet this while time, will it still be OK to brew or do I need new yeast or just forget about it?

It is better to get the yeast out of the kit and put it in the refrigerator, but you should be good to go. Unless your house gets really hot or freezes...... I wouldn't be surprised if most kits sit on a store shelf for months before it is bought.....

Brew it - you will have a good beer. Ideally, next time you get an extract kit, you want to freeze your hops and throw the yeast in the fridge, but if you ferment at at the right temp, your beer will be fine. :)

Yeah, I put the hops in the freezer, on that little shelf above the ice maker. The yeast in the little butter cubby on the fridge door, & LME on the fridge shelf. Stuff keeps better longer that way.

Back