Shelf Life of Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robnog

Reaction score
I have a half gallon of wort that has been in the fridge for 3.5 weeks. Is it too late to use it in a starter? It smells fine and it doesn't look like anything is growing in it.

Thanks,

-Rob

I would not recommend it just because of:
1. the age of it
2. the importance of a clean media for your yeast starter
3. the relatively low cost of making fresh wort from DME.:(

However, if you feel compelled to use it, I would suggest you take a gravity on it and see if anything has grown in it and used the fermentables. If the gravity looks good, I would boil it for about 15 minutes to sterilize it, cool and use it right away.

Just my 2 cents.

Dr Malt:mug:

I agree with the Doctor. Toss the wort, and start over. No sense in risking something that is likely tainted.
Brewers get paranoid about lag phase of more then a few hours, a few weeks would be a good indicator that something is working on your wort if it ain't yeast.
Save yourself the time, money, and hassle.

You're probably right. I worry enough about my beer as it is, I don't need something else to worry about. I threw it out and used some DME instead.

Next time, I'll probably freeze some of my excess wort so I can keep it for a longer period of time.

Yep I've got 2 liters frozen right now that I'm going to try and krausen my next beer with (it's in secondary right now)

take it easy

Back