Shelf life of Crushed Specialty Grains for steeping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FiddleTilDeath

Reaction score
I order from the internet 3-4 batches at a time. I order the specialty grains crushed. Sometimes by the time I get to the last batch or two its been over a month. Am I working with truly stale grains? Is it worth trying to purchase my specialty grains from a LHBS in the week before brewing to crush them there and have them be fresher? I don't really like this store and its not so much on my way to anything, but it is technically possible to pull off.

I order from the internet 3-4 batches at a time. I order the specialty grains crushed. Sometimes by the time I get to the last batch or two its been over a month. Am I working with truly stale grains? Is it worth trying to purchase my specialty grains from a LHBS in the week before brewing to crush them there and have them be fresher? I don't really like this store and its not so much on my way to anything, but it is technically possible to pull off.

The Brew Strong episode on grain milling had an interview with one of the science guys over at Breiss, and he seemed to indicate that even crushed grains can stay fresh for several months so long as you're not in a very humid or very dry environment. He even seemed to suggest that the shelf-life on crushed grains was only barely shorter than the uncrushed grains, but Jamil didn't seem to agree with him. Interesting conversation.

The best way to store them is dry and airtight. In or out of the fridge
doesn't make much difference.

Crushed grains, if stored well, can generally last for several
months. Uncrushed grains, if stored well, can last for years. IMO, a
couple weeks is no big deal.

There's an easy way to tell if your grains are OK: taste 'em. I think everyone knows what stale bread/crackers/cereal tastes like. If it tastes like that, pitch it. If not, you're good to go.

Lots of factors. Like do you regulate your humidy/heat in home? How do you store them? Vacuume sealed air tite.Depending how they are cared for is really how long they will last crushed/or uncrushed. Order the ones crushed you use first then crush the last batches or maybe just crush them yourself. I use a wine bottle to crush when im making a batch.Only because i do smaller batches otherwise i would get them crushed or invenst in a brewers grain mill for larger amounts to crush.
crush.crushy. crush crush.

I've waited a long time to weigh in on this topic...

I buy grain in bulk, but don't own a mill, so buy it pre-crushed. I have had crushed grain for a whole year that brewed up just fine. The grain didn't taste stale, no cracker taste, and finished product was very good (not just my own opinion even on malt-forward beers). I honestly don't know why most people freak out if they mill their grain more than 10 minutes before mashing in. I think it is another brewing wives tales, like using a secondary fermentor. In my actual experience it doesn't make any difference if it is crushed days, weeks, or even months ahead. My own experience is in agreement with the guy from Briess (I haven't listened to that episode of brew strong for my vindication) Of course, I keep my grain stored air-tight and in a cool, dry place in my basement, but it is already crushed. YMMV.

I have always wondered about this topic. I always get mine crushed but do not store them air tight (cool(ish 65f) and dry tho). I usually use within a couple of weeks but some has prolly been around 2 months or so before use. No issues so far.

I have been tempted to get 50lb crushed to have on hand but thought that would be excessive, however jpoder seems to do it just fine.

Especially if your just steeping with the grains and not mashing them, a lot of the point of steeping is to get the proper color which wont change over time.

Back