Shank length?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the short shanks that came with my "intertaps"...not genuine but same design...and those shanks were hollow too, apparently for the auto close spring. The longer shanks I bought were solid but would not accommodate the spring. Obviously only the shank only needs to be hollow for the length of the spring but is not the case for the shanks I got...

with the open shanks, how do you think this will affect the recommended length of 3/16 beer line for line balancing? longer, shorter, or now irrelevant?

If anything I suppose one might need a few inches more beer line to account for the blown-out shank ID but honestly the bigger question would be whether the shank induces CO2 breakout via turbulence. You're definitely not going to maintain a laminar flow entering the shank...

Cheers!

well going to intertap website answered some questions....their long shank schematic shows the hollow spring area and then a narrow hole for the balance of the length...so any faucet that incorporates an internal spring is going to have a hollow area, I don't think the length of the hollow section really matters much, any turbulence will probably occur as the transition point to a larger diameter, I guess really the sharp edge, after that point it's a smooth tube again until it reaches the spring and then finally enters the faucet's chamber...but then again, a solid shank you will still have a change in diameter as the beer reaches the faucet chamber.

maybe I should have bought FCs for my project. but those don't allow the internal return spring which I kinda like...my last kegger would sometimes stick open a little and spill beer...but that was also 20 years ago when there wasn't perlicks, intertaps, FCs, etc...just the old school back sealing ones

In the end, it's really all theory until I run my first keg thru it...hopefully late next week...got an IPA fermenting

well tapped my first keg in years...poured just fine with those hollow shanks...well just fine IMO...nothing really to compare it to at the moment...maybe just got lucky..lol

Sierra Nevada pale ale clone...nothing special...

force carbed at around 30 over night in the fridge...then dropped to 10-12 for a couple days...poured at 10-12

no foam...good clean pour it seems...3/16 lines 6 ft and a long hollow shank. intertaps with the spring inside for positive closing (thus the hollow shank)

Back