Shandy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcpd9318

Reaction score
Soooooo.. I'm trying my hand at a shandy and I'm not sure exactly what the best process is for the lemon/orange flavor.

From what I have read there are 2 ways that people make it.. Either by blending the lemonade with the beer and carbonating.. Or by using lemonade kool aid packets.. I don't want to do the packets.. So my plan is to blend the lemonade and orange juice with the beer (separately of course) then carbonate..

My question is should I blend them together and let some some of the sugars from the juices ferment out then bottle/keg.. Or should I cold crash the beer then blend and force carb in a keg..

Thanks!

Ive made one for a friends party in the past and this was what I did. I basically made a weissbier (60/40 Pils/Wheat), fermented with a hefe yeast. When I kegged the beer, I just added 1 de-thawed frozen lemonade concentrate (8oz I think) to one keg, and a de-thawed orange juice concentrate to the other keg. Racked on top, carbed, and served. I gently swirled the kegs as the filled with beer. Not enough to splash though. Beers (from what I heard) came out awesome from what I heard and they killed both kegs in one night.

My tasting on them was that there was a noticeable lemon and orange flavor in each, but the beer still dominated. Carbonated high.

I've had good results with the KISS method. Make a blonde like Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde and add a grapefruit soda like Squirt to taste in the glass. Very tasty...

Back