SG reading question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBDrew

Reaction score
OK - I've brewed 4 beers (partial extract kits, all Brewer's Best), and I'm using the hydrometer that came with my Brewer's Best starter's kit. I can't seem to get a reading I trust, be it bubbles, the hydro sticking to the sides of my thief, etc. I am intensely interested in the details and actually knowing what is happening, so if anyone has any tips on how to take readings that are reliable, please fill me in. I'd definitely appreciate it . Am I the only one who struggles with this?

I try and fill the test cylinder (you are using a test cylinder aren't you?) as gently as possible to avoid a lot of bubbles. Then, as I drop in the hydrometer, I give it a good spin to dislodge any bubbles.

just got a thief and it is a test cylinder in itself, but before that , yes, i was using the cylinder that came with my hydro. I think it's entirely possible that my inexperience is causing me to doubt the accuracy of my readings. Thoughts?

It sounds like he's just taking the reading with the hydrometer inside the thief. This is what at least one thief that I know of is designed for.

+1 on using a test cylinder so that you can spin the hydrometer.

edit
I think it's entirely possible that my inexperience is causing me to doubt the accuracy of my readings. Thoughts?
This is very possible. What reasoning do you have that makes you doubt them? Besides, it's not exactly a precision, rocket-scientist tool. It's a piece of paper wedged in some glass. If you're off by one or two points, it's still going to be the same beer. If you're off by 3 or 4 points, it's still going to be the same beer.

kornbread & Skaggz: I appreciate the quick replies!

When using the tube that came with the hydro, I would spin it alot but I had trouble with the bubbles not subsiding...I was able to spin the thief itself and got the hydro within it to spin enough, but it still wanted to cling to the side.

If you're using kits, they should come with a target OG, and whatever yeast you are using will tell you how much it will ferment it.

Are your readings not matching up with those two numbers?

I've thought about this a little bit more today and I think a clearer explanation of my issue would be that the lines are really close together, and the "beer line" seems to obscure the lines of delineation on the hydro enough that it makes reading so much guesswork. Is there another tool or a better hydro that would give me consistent readings so that I can rely on them to help determine the progress I am making in tightening up my brewing process and determining when fermentation is indeed complete?

Can you give an example? What the OG was supposed to be, and what you think the variance of your reading is?

I use a refractometer, but a hydrometer is spot on. Share some numbers with us. :)

Back