SG reading lesson learned

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballsy

Reaction score
Brewed an IRS partial/mini mash kit few weeks back for the Holidays coming up...Nailed the OG of 1.079. Double pitched Notty (rehydrated, no starter). Kept at ~63-65 ambient for 5 days then let raise to 72 ambient thereafter. Thus far, I have not worried myself with taking SG readings throughout ferment due to reading about increased risk of infection, and "breaking" the CO2 blanket (I use bucket, not carboy) which causes exposure to oxygen. I typically just let it roll for 4 solid weeks, then prep to bottle and take FG reading just prior to racking to bottle bucket. No more! The FG of the IRS was supposed to be 1.019 and was actually 1.024 (after 4.5 wks). I went ahead and bottled since everything was already prepped at that point. Reading up, I hear you can swirl the beer to awaken the yeast to try and drop a few more points which I should have done. From now on I will definitely be checking my SG around week 3. On a positive note, the taste of the excess that didn't make it to bottle was really good. Guessing the stout should cover up any sweetness from the higher FG....

I believe it is actually a RIS, but that's neither here nor there. Bigger beers take longer, and that's also the reason you take gravity readings intermittently. You are fairly close to your FG, so you may not have much of a problem, but if it continues to ferment, you may be at risk for bottle bombs with the extra priming sugar and the original fermentable sugars. You can gently swirl the bucket to rouse the yeast, but you are much better taking readings over a multi day period to make sure it is stable.

As long as you are careful and sanitary, it is ok to check earlier and "break the blanket". There will be enough residual CO2 to replace it.

I would put those bottles in an area you don't mind getting a little messy. You may not have a problem, but better safe than sorry.

I believe it is actually a RIS, but that's neither here nor there. Bigger beers take longer, and that's also the reason you take gravity readings intermittently. You are fairly close to your FG, so you may not have much of a problem, but if it continues to ferment, you may be at risk for bottle bombs with the extra priming sugar and the original fermentable sugars. You can gently swirl the bucket to rouse the yeast, but you are much better taking readings over a multi day period to make sure it is stable.

As long as you are careful and sanitary, it is ok to check earlier and "break the blanket". There will be enough residual CO2 to replace it.

I would put those bottles in an area you don't mind getting a little messy. You may not have a problem, but better safe than sorry.

RIS is much preferred to IRS! Typo, good call on moving to a safe area. Will be placing in guest bath tub with curtains closed!

Back