SG and FG. What does this tell me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Espi

Reaction score
I brewed a Pale Ale as my first brew getting back into it...

When I brewed in the past my father ran the show and it was 15 years ago..

The question I have is, before pitching my yeast my sample ended up at a SG of 1.061...recipe says I should have expected 1.050. I wasn't worried too much, tasted sweet is all.

Fermentation went well I guess... things slowed and stopped after 5 days or so.. I took 2 more samples over 2 days and both were at 1.012, spot on for what the recipe calls for.

I racked to my secondary on the 7th day all is good..

I guess my question is, should I really get caught up in what the recipe says? Or does this tell me anything about my process?

I am sure you guys are sick of questions like this but any input would be greatly appreciated.

No, those are very good questions and are right at the heart of making good beer.

Your original gravity reflects the total dissolved solids (mostly fermentable sugars) in your wort. To a large degree, this controls the amount of alcohol that will be present in the final beer. It may also reflect how much malt flavour ends up in the beer.

The final gravity reflects the dissolved solids that are left after the yeast have fermented everything they were able to metabolize. Typically what is left are unfermentable sugars, and a small amount of other dissolved materials (like proteins responsible for head formation). The higher the final gravity the more body the beer will have and (generally) the sweeter it will be (all else being equal). Dry beers tend to be more drinkable and finish with a lower final gravity.

In your case, your starting gravity was a bit high (perhaps you added less water than planned?), but it finished at the intendended FG meaning that the beer will probably have the intended character (albeit a bit higher in alcohol).

A problem that is often encountered by homebrewers is that their yeast stalls out and they never reach their intended final gravity. This means that the beer will have more body and is going to be sweeter than intended. Thus, it might be out of balance with the hop bitterness and flavour. Unfortunately, it is a hard problem to correct in a batch of beer. But it sounds like you are all set, so that should be a great batch of beer!

:mug:

I just re read the title and I guess the real question I am asking is...

If these numbers mean all that much, what could I have done to miss it? What effect will this really have in the long run if anything? or should I just shut up and not think so much about it all?

I understand the concept behind the measurement.. I guess I am trying to understand how it all relates in the end.

PERFECT!!

Thank you fly guy that I what I hunting for...

I was posting along with you...

Like I said, I have brewed in the past with my father but things seem to have changed in the last 15 years and, as I mentioned, my pops ran that show.

Thank you, that clears things up a lot.

Latest posts

Back