settlement woes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gedion

Reaction score
so its about that time of year again, and for the first time since my first adventure in home-brewing i decided to do a pumpkin ale. it smells great and looks (a bit darker than expected) awesome. My main worry though is settlement. i remember my first pumpkin ale was heavy on settlement and im expecting this one to be just as bad. do you guys have any recommendations on keeping the settlement behind before kegging? i plan on doing a secondary for a week or two to help it a bit, but i dont know if there is anything else i could do to help.

cheers :mug:

Cold crash. Add finings. Don't get greedy when you siphon.
Yeah the siphoning bit i already planned on being careful with. Would you recommend gelatin for fining? What about a good temp for crashing? I only have access to a refrigerator to do that with so i think im a bit limited on how low it will go...havent tested to low end yet.

I cold-crash in a top-freezer refrigerator, it takes the better part of two days to drop 11 gallons of beer from 68°F dry-hopping temperature down to 36°F but it does the job, drops the pellet mush and yeast 'n' stuff flat to the bottom.

I don't use clarifiers. By the time my kegs are fully carbed they're plenty bright...

Cheers!

I cold-crash in a top-freezer refrigerator, it takes the better part of two days to drop 11 gallons of beer from 68°F dry-hopping temperature down to 36°F but it does the job, drops the pellet mush and yeast 'n' stuff flat to the bottom.

I don't use clarifiers. By the time my kegs are fully carbed they're plenty bright...

Cheers!
Yeah thats the style i have. Are you using the freezer or the frige to crash?

The lower, "food", section.
It's not a large unit - at a total of 17cf the top freezer section couldn't hold a gallon growler upright ;)

Cheers!

[edit] I'm actually ~13 hours into a cold crash right now. The two carboys are at 45 and change. Got a ways to go...
cold_crash.jpg

I'll echo some of the above. I've made a number of pumpkins over the years and with a combo of cold crash + gelatin, they've come out crystal clear.

Latest posts

Back