Setting up hardware on a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Codfishhead

Reaction score
I have searched up a bunch of posts on whirlpooling,keg build parts, and placement of those parts. Thank you to all that posted them. :mug:

Here’s my plan so far. Angle Iron welded frame. Stainless plate across the top with cut outs for the kegs so no heat rises up on the connections and site tubes. All stainless parts and pipes will be welded. SS false bottom, SS Chugger pump, Camlock style disconnects with nothing smaller than a ½” ID on the entire system for best flow.

First how’s my parts list sound? I don’t want to set this up and then wish I did it differently.

For the kettle, I would like to know where you have your inlet whirlpool arm and drain. Also why you prefer them where you placed them. I don’t really plan on small batches so I’m thinking half way up the keg for the whirlpool arm.

It sounds like you are talking about building a brew rig, or "brewing sculpture". If so, you might get better results in the DIY forum, where there are lots of posts about brew rigs. Searching a bit, the "show us your brew rig" threads may help, if you've not already been there. If you are planning automated control of the heating elements, pumps and valves, and so on, using a Brewtroller, BCS, arduino, or the like, then this is the forum for you.

Thx. Is there anyway to move this or should I start another thread in the DIY area?

Just cut the tops off. Have about 500 in parts ordered. Ready to start making holes

7AE66B85-B921-41F1-A647-011DAE03EBFA_zpsqsnrx7sx.jpg

Cool, Ill bite. Where are you thinking about mounting your recirc for whirlpool? Did you get a pickup tube?

My plumber buddy has all the pipe I need. Still not sure where to mount the whirlpool inlet.

He's welding up my frame this weekend. :ban:

I’m looking a bunch of videos and post with the inlet all over the place. I think I’m going to wait to do a test before popping the hole in. I’ll hang a copper pipe at a 90 at diff levels and see what it looks like. Toss some crushed rice ort something to see when the cone is affected negatively if at all. Looking to get my system together in the next week or so.

I’ll break out my Go Pro and film the results to post. HEY! now thast an idea. I'll stick the Go Pro on the bottom and video from inside the tank :drunk:

So here’s what I found out so far. I don’t know Jack chit about plumbing/pipe fittings.

I made a drawing of each keggle and the stand. Put all the hardware I thought I needed. Brought this to my plumber buddy that said WTF is this? Are you making custom Couplings and Nipples? Who knew they don’t come with male on one end and female on the other in all different lengths??? Basically what I planned was crap. Good thing I didn’t drill the holes yet. So now I probably have a bunch of parts I ordered I don’t need along with needing to order a bunch more I do need. More I think about this and the time and money I should have just dropped a couple grand and bought a complete system.

I plan on putting the site glass on front center of all 3 vessels. Drains off to one side closest to center keg. Inlet for boil pot will be about 8 inches off the bottom at a 90 for a whirlpool effect. Need to calculate inches = gallons to see exactly how far from the bottom it needs to be to brew a 5 gal batch and still be effective without splashing in the wort.

Anyways the stand is ROCK solid. Can’t wait to get it together. It will hold up a truck with ease. Again I jumped the gun rushing to get this done before finalizing the design. Note to self: slow down and do it right *******.
Hope to weld up most of it this weekend and them see where to mount the pump and such. Including safety tabs or something so if a drunk falls against the keegle it can’t slide off the stand. Little supports underneath the kegs so no chance at a spill over.

QUESTION:
False bottom and drain tube. How are they connected inside the keg for easy removal for cleaning? The false bottom is very tight so no room to move. What’s your setup for this? Picture would be great. Thx

Another package from Santa
4F2AC81B-1CB0-4229-AFF4-111B31455FC5_zps16nsvsj3.jpg

Back