Session IPA Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
Would like to try and make a clone of this beer from a local brewery. The web site shows 2 row as the only malt. Using this malt alone doesn't come close to the SRM of 7. I played around with Brewers Friend and would have to use some crystal to get the color right. It also calls for lemon peel, which I assume would be added as a dry hop.

This beer is not malty, decent amount of citrus and not over the top bitter which is what I am after.
Here's what I have come up with:
2.5 gal
IBU: 40
SRM: 7.04
OG: 1.044
FG: 1.008
ABV: 4.5

3.6 lb 2Row
7 oz C40

Mash 154 for 60 min

For the hops, thinking about all late additions. Unsure if I should go with 20, 10, 0 or 15 and 0 schedule. Dry hops I am thinking about .50-.75 oz each.
Magnum for bittering at 45min
Cascade
Amarillo
Centennial
Simcoe
1 oz lemon peel for 5 days soaked in vodka before adding.

What would be the best hop schedule for this?
Would using 7oz C40 make this too malty?
Never did hop busting before so would like to stay with late additions and maybe whirlpool additions at a low temp (150 or below)
Thoughts/comments appreciated.

https://abita.com/brands/big-easy-ipa

You could always boil longer for a darker color. I would probably do the Magnum earlier, and go crazy with the others 15 to 0. I think the 7oz of C40 is going to add some definite malt flavor. it's over 10% of the grist. It could get buried under the late hops though.

I'd use 0.5oz of patent malt and 4lb 2-row. It will correct the colour with no flavour contribution. It will even slightly protect your beer from oxidation...

Back