Session IPA (advice appreciated)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdeets84

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm planning to brew a low ABV IPA for the first time and want to get a little input to avoid making any mistakes in the recipe that might be glaringly obvious to a more experienced homebrewer. Let me know how this sounds and if there's anything you'd recommend changing.

I'd especially like advice on mash temp/FG and whether I should pitch less than a full pack of dry yeast.

5 Gallon - All Grain
Est ABV: 3.49%
Est OG: 1.034
Est FG: 1.007
IBUs: 34.0
SRM: 4.8

Grain Bill 60 mins @ 67˙C
3.25kg Maris Otter
0.20kg Honey Malt

Hop Schedule 60 mins boil
10g Galaxy @ 20mins
18g Galaxy @ 10mins
5g Kohatu @ 5mins
10g Galaxy, 10g Kohatu, 5g Nelson Sauvin @ 0mins (20mins whirlpool)

28g Galaxy, 18g Kohatu, 10g Nelson Sauvin (4 days dry hop)

Yeast
1 x Mangrove Jacks Liberty Bell M36 (73-80% attenuation, fermented @ 24-25˙C due to lack of control)

Hello,

The grainbill looks good. I usually use flaked oats and flaked wheat for mouthfeel and retention.

The IBUs are OK, but I like them in the 4-50 for APA and over 6-70 for IPAs. ( NEIPA stays at 30-40 ).

My recommendation is to try to ferment at a cooler temp, maybe using wet towels on the carboy/fermenting bin.

I would definitely use more hops for dry hopping. 2 oz seems a bit low for me and usually does not get me the aromas I am efter. Try 3 or 4 oz ( 100 gr ).

Your water should emphasize the hops, thus the sulfate:chloride ratio should be something like 1.5:1 or 2:1.

If you're using dry yeast, pitch the whole pack if you're pitching directly. Less yeast is never better and dry yeast will not store after it's opened, so unless you're trying to do two batches from one pack, pitch the whole thing.

ps. if you are trying to do two batches, better to make one large starter and split the starter between the two.

i think your efficiency has to be way low for your 3.4%, i'm seeing 4.5% @ 75% efficiency
1.046 to 1.011

sticking to your grainbill, add .44kg of flaked oats.

i'd go with:
14g apollo first wort hop

28g galaxy 0 min
10g Kohatu 0 min
15g Nelson Sauvin 0 min

switch yeast, or keep it in a larger container filled with water and keep ice packs going.

i think your efficiency has to be way low for your 3.4%, i'm seeing 4.5% @ 75% efficiency
1.046 to 1.011

sticking to your grainbill, add .44kg of flaked oats.

i'd go with:
14g apollo first wort hop

28g galaxy 0 min
10g Kohatu 0 min
15g Nelson Sauvin 0 min

switch yeast, or keep it in a larger container filled with water and keep ice packs going.

Thanks for the reply. I had a typo in my OG & FG. My calculations are based upon 72% efficiency and maybe skewed due to larger water volume to account for losses to brew kettle, trub & secondary fermentation. I don't have any flaked oats for this brewday nor do I have apollo although I do have come Columbus & Magnum though my preference was for hop bursting and getting all my IBUs from late additions.

Last edited:
magnum works for bittering to, (i just prefer apollo for fwh)

it is a matter of personal preference, and that alone. using galaxy at 20 minutes is not a bad thing, but I feel 20 min additions are better for hops like chinook, cenntennial, sorachi ace,, and hops like galaxy, of which i use lots of, are great as late as possible.

it will work at 20 min
it will SHine at 0

Back