Separated Head...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheapspkrs111

Reaction score
My first homebrew is byfar more of a learning experience than a good brew! My next question pertaining to this round has to do with the head. The head seems seperated from the liquid. It floats on top of the liquid instead of being a part of it....if that makes sense. I also have to correct the short length of tube i have from the keg on Monday. Counld this cause the head problem too?

....if that makes sense.

No, not really making sense. The head on my beers always floats ontop of the beer. It does not gradually transition from beer -> head, there is a definate line seperating the 2.
A photo would help explain what you mean ;)

Agreed, definitely does not makes sense. The only thing I can possible imagine you are referring to is that your beer does not have bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass constantly like a regular lager does. Is that what you are referring to?

I could be wrong, but I am thinking that he is getting a rough pour, and a rocky head. When it settles there are "clumps" of head left floating on top ...... am I close?

I think he may be referring to when you pour a beer and it has a nice solid head, but as it dissipates over the next 10 mins or so it forms more of a thick mousse-like "raft" and is not necessarily touching the sides of the glass the whole time anymore. I have had that in my belgian pale ale, but I like it because I can pour the beer so full that the head rises like 1/2" over the edge of the glass but doesnt fall down the side... if this is your case - its badass, enjoy it. If not, then I have no idea whats going on...

I could be wrong, but I am thinking that he is getting a rough pour, and a rocky head. When it settles there are "clumps" of head left floating on top ...... am I close?

Ooooh, I get clumpy head a lot... Like little chunky islands... Keep meaning to take pics, but it sounds like you know what it is. What causes it?

Ooooh, I get clumpy head a lot... Like little chunky islands... Keep meaning to take pics, but it sounds like you know what it is. What causes it?
Exactly, I think he's talking about clumpy foam - there's a whole thread (at least one) on this.
I have several beers on tap right now that exhibit it, and its not really a good thing. These batches also have what I think is some sort of phenol defect - its spicy not medicinal tasting so its drinkable, but not great.
The beers in question are IPAs, and were 5th and 6th generation of pitching on US05 cakes. I don't know if that was the problem (the taste and/or the weird foam) , but I can tell you I won't go past 3 or 4 generations in the future.

Yup that sounds exactly like what is happening!!! WHY? oh Why? is my head clumpy??? LOL. Seriously. Whats up with clumpy head?

Back