Semi - translucent white plastic secondary \ sunlight?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballistic

Reaction score
I have a semi - translucent white plastic secondary which will allow some sunlight into it. As I don't want to move and unsettle it, what is the effect of normal sunlight through this kind of plastic, which I guess must be quite common in the brewing hobby?

Put a blanket up to the window to block the light. Keep the fermenter cool. If this means moving it then do it. You should have the temperature in the lower end of the recommended temperature range suggested by the yeast you are using.

thanks - I moved the beer. I was more interested in why brewers insist on brown bottles when some of the brewing equipment and fermentors don't keep the light out?

thanks - I moved the beer. I was more interested in why brewers insist on brown bottles when some of the brewing equipment and fermentors don't keep the light out?

Clear carboys are nice so that you can see what's going on--especially to see if the beer has cleared up or needs help on that front.

If they're not in a dark closet, you keep the covered with a towel or something except for when you need to look inside.

Back