semi built in kegerator question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacobitti

Reaction score
I'm wanting to install a 2 tap kegerator under a cabinet but don't really have the $$$ for the bottom vent units. I was thinking about a custom build that would give me the counter and then build out vented doors in front of a standalone unit. It would have air space around the unit and I'm thinking about the perforated metal panels that are used around radiators to create the doors from. Maybe even add in a fan for good measure. the space I have is 56" wide 36" deep. Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated....

I would say you should probably have some fans and ventilation but, there is a lot of debate about this on these forums. The manufacturer typically lists a minimum clearance distance for all sides of the refrigeration units if they are not standalone. I would recommend looking at the owners manual or specs from the manufacturers website for the unit you are using to fully make your decision though. Maybe some pics of the space and the measurements/model of the unit you're using may help us better understand your situation.

Good Luck with the build!

I just built this around a stand alone unit myself. Manufacturer said 2" clearance on all sides. I left almost 4" on the right side and the left side is completely open under the counter. I'm going to put a fan under there as well. So far I've had no cooling issues and it seems to be running the same. Only time will tell.

IMG_3585.jpg

If I had to guess, I would say you're good, especially on the side that's completely open. If you're worried though, you could use a 120mm blower style fan to help dissipate heat on the sides you're worried about.

Something similar to this. Its what I am using on my keezer build with minimal (1.5") side clearance.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012CL2V3I/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back