Selecting Appropriate Temperature Controller for New Keezer Build...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been slowly collecting the items I need to complete my first keezer build and I am trying to select a temperature controller that will work with my 10.6 cubic ft. GE fridge. I assumed I could just use any plug in thermostat like Johnson Controls, Inkbird, or Ranco, but noticed that the Inkbird models refer to wattage in their descriptions. This got me thinking about whether or not many of these might be under sized for the load of the compressor on the freezer. The specs of the freezer indicate that it is 5 amps at 110V, but reviews also indicate that it could pull 2-3x that when firing up. If this is the case, should I be seeking out a temperature controller that can handle 1650 watts? If that is the case it would seem that many of the commonly used temperature controllers are not adequately sized for my needs. I am confused and any clarification on this would be greatly appreciated.

I use a Willhi WH7016C on mine. The model I ordered was designed for 110VAC, has a 30A relay, and displays in fahrenheit. I got mine through ebay but the problem is that model number is fairly generic so it'll pull up models with all different specs (e.g. 12vdc, 24vdc, 110vac, 220vac). The guy I ordered mine from doesn't appear to be active any longer. But they are out there and they probably shouldn't run you more than $25. I wouldn't be surprised if Inkbird had something similar.

fwiw, the fridge plate info is likely overstated by 3X or better.
My 13cf chest freezer draws barely one amp running per my Kill O Watt meter, and it has a fairly hefty compressor...

Cheers!

fwiw, the fridge plate info is likely overstated by 3X or better.
My 13cf chest freezer draws barely one amp running per my Kill O Watt meter, and it has a fairly hefty compressor...

Cheers!

That's crazy...I might have to check mine and see what it's actually drawing. I do use an STC1000 on my fermentation fridge. I can't remember for sure, but I want to say it says it has 10A relays. I've been using it for a few years now and no problems so far, so probably the same thing day_tripper has with his chest freezer (prob drawing 1-ish amps).

Thank you all for the clarification. I am much more
confident about my direction moving forward now and surprised about the Kill O Watt meter's results for the larger 13 cf fridge.

It's fairly new, only 3 years old iirc. The e-star sheet claimed it'd only use $36 of electricity per year and the Kill O Watt reading has been under that by a little bit using our local rates.

Still, I'll admit the first time I saw the ~1A running reading I was surprised...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back